Hi from Florida

Home Page Forums Introduce Yourself Hi from Florida

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    emilyh

I am a ukulele student. Been trying to learn from various instructors online with limited success. I started ukulele lessons online in 2020 and can play a couple of songs but not very well. I don’t have anyone to play with so it is just up to me. I strum just about everyday and have amassed a small collection, but something is missing – talent, direction, a plan.

I like the song collection available on this site and hope to be able to add some songs to my list of accomplishments.

Emily

Andrew
    Keymaster

Welcome, Emily!

First off, I’d recommend checking out Learning Paths. It’ll give you a few ideas on where to start with our lessons 🙂

I’d also recommend creating a practice schedule that consists of 3 parts. It can cover any 3 areas of study, but here’s an example to get you started:

1) Technique Building – For example, developing 3 and 4 finger fingerpicking. There are multiple exercises for this in our fingerpicking course.

2) Rhythmic Study – Rhythm is 1/3 of music and is almost always the part that is overlooked. Developing a good sense of rhythm and timing is best accomplished through learning to read music.

3) Songs – Pick 1 or 2 songs at a time to work on. Think of these as the cookies, they are what help to keep you motivated and having fun! Try to pick songs that reinforce the 2 other areas of your practice schedule. A good place to start is with the performance tunes contained in the courses.

If you ever need help on the lessons, please don’t hesitate to ask.

emilyh

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the guidance. I have a question about the Learning to Pick and Strum video. You mention using the first or second finger to pick one of the strings (the A string) and the thumb to pick another string. I tried to play bass guitar for years and was never any good at it then I discovered ukulele. I found myself using a bass strum – alternating my first and second fingers to pick the A string when playing through Jingle Bells. Is that considered ok or is there a reason I should avoid doing this on a ukulele?

By the way, I am already learning a great deal from your courses.

Emily

Andrew
    Keymaster

Yes, that’s called Picado Technique. You can def use it! If you need an overview on it, I covered it in the second video in this lesson (from our Reading Course).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.