Hitting the bottom string when you come back up

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons Hitting the bottom string when you come back up

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    malachi

When strumming down and then hitting the bottom string as you come back up. It don’t sound good, like I can hear the scraping when I do it for some reason? I don’t know if it’s the way my thumbnail is built or what.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Can you share a video? I’ll be better able to help if I can see/hear what’s happening.

malachi

The video is an attachment

Andrew
    Keymaster

Looks like it exceeds the upload limit, which is very small, as it is for photos only. Can you upload to YouTube and share a link?

malachi

Hey sorry idk know how to do links but anyways look up on YouTube Andrew rock class 101 help. My channels name is ender mites.

malachi

If you can’t find it, I’ll learn how to do links.

Andrew
    Keymaster

It def sounds like an issue with the uke. What model/brand is it?

Andrew
    Keymaster

If it feels difficult to press down up there, you may want to consider getting it setup. They will adjust the action (string height), making it easier to play and should help create a better sustain of the notes in that position.

malachi

It’s Mahalo MH2vna

Andrew
    Keymaster

Okay, so the above will hold true based off that price point. Unfortunately, I’m unfamiliar with them and can’t comment on their brand/quality.

If you do upgrade in the future, consider Islander ukuleles. Affordable and great quality 🙂

malachi

It’s not hard to push down the strings on the fret board

Andrew
    Keymaster

Even so, it produces a “tinny” tone – I think that may be more of what you are unhappy with.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Swing by your local music store and compare against other ukes. That will highlight the difference.

miztaken
    Participant

Hi Malachi,
    I have a Mahalo tenor uke, now on loan to a friend (hopefully until it dies! the uke, NOT the friend).
    When looking around when my uke began seriously warping at the bridge, I found out that the Mahalo are a fine uke for beginner level only, they don’t seem to be good enough for what we want to achieve with Andrew’s classes. They are not bad instruments, just: not good either.
    Try getting it set up, but I think that may just be a waste of $$$.
    I would recommend buying another, (sell yours to a beginner), or waiting for Christmas, or just winning the Kanilea!

becky7777
    Participant

I’m a beginner so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I have very short nails. On my strum upstroke a bit of the left tip of my finger hits the strings at the same time as my nail. It softens the scraping noise, but keeps the pick-like click sound. I have no idea if I’m doing things wrong but wanted to toss it out there just incase. My volume is pretty similar in both directions though because it’s not a pure nail on string sound.

If i’m giving bad advice someone please correct me! I don’t know if there is a correct way to strum.

BTW- I think i’m stealing your strap idea. I was wondering how I might attach one without making a hole. So thanks for that and good luck.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.