Holding the ukuklele right

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons Holding the ukuklele right

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    smokealot
    Participant

Hi,

I have been searching this forum and other pages for a while, been looking at people playing but still am kind of lost.

A short introduction: I have been playing for two years on and off now but signed up for premium membership a month ago because I really like that instrument and was so convinced of this site (and still am). I already learned “für elise” (thats how I found this page) before I signed up but did the beginners course just to make sure. During that it became quite clear to me that I am very limited in my playing because I am holding the uku in a very awkward way. And after going through all the lessons that cover that topic I am still lost.

So finally the question: could you give me more detailed instruction on that topic?
    I struggle moving from form 1 to form 2 (especially barre cords). When I do that I lose control and the uku kind of falls out of my left hand so that changes sound very unclean.
    So I ended up holding it like a classical guitar which obviously limits my strumming.

I guess I could just get a strap but really want to learn it without it.
    Another thought I have is if a bigger (soprano atm) uku would be easier to hold?

I’d be really grateful for any tips.
    (Hope this was understandable – I’m from Germany)

Cheers!

miztaken
    Participant

Hi @smokealot – you have the choice of struggling with learning to hold the uke and play it too.
    Or: get a strap and you only have to learn to play it.
    What is your priority? Playing beautiful music, or holding the uke “right”?
    I went for straps on all my playing ukes (that is nine out of the ten I own), and now I always hold it right thanks to the strap. I don’t have enough patience, tolerance OR years left in my life to bother with trying to play a uke whilst holding it “properly “.
    😀

Andrew
    Keymaster

Proper holding is covered in our Beginner’s Course, as well as the other lesson you mentioned: Proper Left Hand Form. Here are the links:

1) proper left hand form
    2) how to hold the Uke (from our Beginners Course)

Could you post a video of you playing and going from form 1 to 2. I’ll be better able to help if I can see what you are doing.

smokealot
    Participant

Thanks for the answer. I made this video which is hopefully helpful to identify my mistake (first recording of myself ever on the internet – i really want to get this right 🙂 )

rickeymike
    Participant

Hey Smokey. Your video shows exactly what my problem is too. I’ve been living with it for 2 years. ha.
    Kind of adds new meaning to that song “Free Fallin'”

Andrew
    Keymaster

Could you post a video playing through the parts? I really need to see what’s happening as you’re doing it. Sorry, I should have clarified that.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I think I know what’s happening. I just need to see you play through it w/out talking or stopping. And please sit just as you always do, not in any special position for the camera.

smokealot
    Participant

Glad to know that I am not alone and since I hopefully have a lot of years left to work on the basics I will put in the work.

Here’s the link. The kids were sleeping already so I had to be quiet.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here’s what’s happening and it has nothing to do w/ holding the uke:

miztaken
    Participant

Oh you are clever @Andrew!!! and always such clear instructions.
    So, basically practice chord changes so at least one finger remains on the neck which stabilises it!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@miztaken – Actually that’s hard to answer. I’d have to see each person’s playing to pinpoint any issue(s).

smokealot
    Participant

Thank you so much Andrew! I really appreciate your help.
    Let’s see how I do after this five hour train ride 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.