Humidifier

Home Page Forums Discuss Your Gear Humidifier

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    smudge
    Participant

Seattle has suddenly become very dry! What kind of in case humidifier do people use?

Andrew
    Keymaster

I use the Oasis OH-18.

gstriph
    Participant

I have the same one. It’s interesting. I wasn’t really sure it was needed. I live in Ohio. We have central heat but no in house humidifier. After reading about the ‘need’ online, I decided to buy a cheap meter that shows humidity and temperature. It showed my house was 20-22% relative humidity. So I bought a hard case and the OH-18. In the case, the humidity went up to about 40%. One thing that I noticed was before the humidifier, if I ran my hand down the edge of the neck, I could feel the edges of the frets slightly poking out (and was surprised as it’s a pretty good ukulele). After a few days in the case, the neck was totally smooth so I guess it had shrunk in the dry house. The tuning changed more at first but then stabilized. So I guess this humidity thing is real!

Jerry

robinboyd
    Participant

I bought a humidifier when I got my good uke because I had read all sorts of horror stories online. I also got a digital hygrometer to put in the case just to be sure I needed the humidifier. Lo and behold, it read about 65%. It briefly dropped to about 38% during a record-breaking dry spell, but otherwise it has always been somewhere between 40% and 70% so I’ve never actually used the humidifier.

mheiden
    Participant

I have a hygrometer to measure humidity.
    For the humidifiers, I have 2 kinds: 1. Humistat 2. Oasis OH-18 (this one goes in the Uke)

Both are easy to use and work.

miztaken
    Participant

I haven’t bothered with one in Sydney, but I have changed my practice since getting my eucalele: all ukes now live in their cases if in the lounge area or upstairs. And if I take a break during practice, they go back into the case again.
    Downstairs in the dungeon, it is more stable so my Bohemian uke sits on it’s end just looking good.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.