I’m yours – prevent ukulele neck from dropping down ?

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons I’m yours – prevent ukulele neck from dropping down ?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

How do you prevent the headstock/neck from dropping out of position during the song “Jason Mraz – I’m Yours“, when lifting your left ring finger (during the very first bar) from the 5th fret after sliding it down from the 3rd fret ? From watching the video, I see that your thumb is pressed against the back of the neck — not full gripping the entire neck — and I cannot wrap my mind around how you keep the headstock/neck in place; are you momentarily gripping the body of the ukulele with your right hand? It doesn’t seem that way. I’ve tried slowing down the video, but still unable to pinpoint how you keep the ukulele’s neck fixed in place while switching from the 5th fret to the 3rd fret, when moving to the open C chord.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Good question! The trick is to apply an even amount of pressure from behind with the thumb (as you noticed, in the middle of the neck) and in the front with the partially barred ring finger. This will help to keep the neck steady. Furthermore, make sure you are holding the ukulele properly and using form 1. Also, read over form 3 to get a better understanding of why it’s important to apply an even amount of pressure.

Give this a shot and let me know how it goes πŸ™‚

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.