July 11, 2020 – Live Lesson Topic: High G vs. Low G Ukulele

Home Page Forums Monthly Live Lessons July 11, 2020 – Live Lesson Topic: High G vs. Low G Ukulele

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Live Stream: Saturday, July 11th at 12:00pm EST (check your local time zone)

Hey guys, we are back with Live Lesson EP020! This month’s topic is: High G vs. Low G Ukulele.

A commonly asked question in the ukulele world is: What is the difference between High G and Low G ukuleles? In this session, we’ll be answering just that! We’ll also tackle: The strengths and weaknesses of each; and why you would pick one over the other.

This month’s topic should stir up some great questions! So please post all you have below and I hope you guys join us for the live stream. 🙂

LIVE LESSONS FAQ:

Q: What happens in a live lesson, how long is it, and when does it occur?

A: Live lessons are usually 30-45 minutes in length, but can extend until all questions are answered. The first 20 minutes will comprise of the lesson, while the next 10-25 minutes will be a Q&A session for premium members.

Live lessons take place every second Saturday of the month at 12:00pm EST (check your local time zone).

Q: Can I submit questions beforehand?

A: Absolutely! Basic and premium members are welcome to post questions that are related to the topic in THIS thread.

Q: Who can watch the live stream, how do I watch it, and how do I chat with Matt and other members?

A: Premium members will be able to tune in and watch the livestream. Premium members will also be able to chat live with Matt during the broadcast.

To watch the live stream, simply navigate to the Live Lessons Page. You will see a YouTube video embedded on the page (if you don’t see it, double check that you are logged in).

If you do not wish to participate in the live chat, you can stay on the page and watch the embedded video. If you do wish to participate in the live chat, you will need to sign up for a YouTube account (100% FREE).

To participate in the live chat, click on the embedded YouTube video’s title. This will open up a new tab and take you directly to the video on YouTube’s website. The live chat box can be found to the right of the video (on desktop). For mobile and tablet, the live chat is embedded inside the video and can be turned on or off.

For further clarification, here is a video showing how to do the above (for desktop).

Q: I can’t make the broadcast. When will live streams be released publicly?

A: The live lesson will be released for everyone to view on Monday following the broadcast (third Monday of the month). If you cannot make the broadcast, no worries; you’ll still be able to watch the lesson. Don’t forget that you can submit questions for Matt to answer beforehand (see the above FAQ).

Andrew
    Keymaster

Heads up: We’re doing Saturday this month at 12pm EST 🙂

gmflin8
    Participant

Cannot guarantee that I will get up at 6 am Hawaii time to attend live but I am very interested in this topic. Coincidentally, I have been suggested by many to consider a low G. Maybe my question will be answered after your session. 

Specifically, I am seriously considering upgrading to a made-in-Hawaii uke and that new one (much expensive) will be the “main” uke while my current one (much cheaper) will be the “backup.” Which one should be the low g one and why? What are my considerations? Thanks in advance.

lisadmh
    Participant

In case I miss it… Low G on a soprano, good or bad? Should it only be on a bigger uke? My low G is tenor right now.

jkulele

A couple of technical questions!

1. What are the differences between wound and unswound strings for low g and the pros and cons of each?
    2. Are there any modifications needed to change between high g and low g or is it as simple as changing the strings?
    Many thanks.

gmflin8
    Participant

Are there songs written just for the low g?

lisadmh
    Participant

What about a 5 string with both low and high g?

kanae926
    Participant

I think YouTube was messed up and there were some questions in the chat that got missed.

My two questions I’d posted there:
    1. Do you have a favorite Low G string brand/type? What’s on your Mo’bettah?
    2. Let’s talk about that wound C…does it sound different than an unwound C? I’ve always wondered why some brands have a wound C as their default set.

Thanks for another great live lesson, Matt!

mattukulele
    Participant

I’m so sorry, my internet connection died during the stream! That’s never happened to me before…

The 5 string High G and Low G is something that really intrigues me, but my actual experience with it is quite limited. It seems very difficult to play just one or the other, as they are doubled, so it sort of makes it more like a low G than a high G since you will still have the booming bass note. I think they probably sound more full, but I think it’s a bit more of a gimmick than anything else.

mattukulele
    Participant

Great questions! My internet died mid-stream so I didn’t see them. I’m so sorry about that!

1. I really enjoy the D’Addario Pro Arte Low G set. My Moore Betta is strung with Thomastik-Infeld strings, as those are what the builder, Chuck Moore, prefers. (And I trust his judgement best!)

2. A wound C is definitely more sound than an unwound! As I mentioned in the video, wound strings are louder, have better sustain, and are a bit ‘boomier’ over-all. They are also much less likely to buzz, so many builders use them as the default set. The negatives are the squeakiness, and sometimes that extra sound can overpower the other strings.

mac1984
    Participant

Good lesson, thank you!

pippin105

Hi, I have recently purchased a tenor to have as my low G instrument. I purchased a low G set of Aquila strings and the G string is wound , but I dont like the sound. Is there a make of string for a low G tenor thats not wound.

lisadmh
    Participant

Hi Pippin. Fluorocarbon strings are not wound. I love fluorocarbon low G strings. You don’t get all that string noise that comes from a wound string. I only lasted a few days on my first try at low G, aquila wound. I was instantly much happier with fluoro. I think I’m using Martins. Not sure though.

pippin105

Thanks for that lisadmh, will check out the fluorocarbon Martins.

kanae926
    Participant

I don’t like the feel and sound of wound low G either, so I use Living Water all fluorocarbon low G set.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.