Levels?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Maybe this is written somewhere and maybe I even read it and forgot, but I’m curious how the levels for songs are determined and what skills might be taught or different with each (if that’s a factor).

Andrew
    Keymaster

Great question! I created Learning Paths to answer 2 big questions:

1) where do I start?

2) what do I work on?

The guide was divvied up to address the beginner, intermediate, and advanced player. Its focus is to help you craft a custom practice schedule, where you could devote X amount of time to various areas. For example, if you are a beginner and you want to work on technique, let’s say adding a backbeat (a.k.a. “chucking”); You can input “backbeat” into the search field, which would display these results: https://rockclass101.com/?s=backbeat.

There are a lot of songs which use this technique, so you would want to double check them to their level. But a good one to start with would be, 12 Bar Blues Strumming, as it is a “beginner series” song.

I’d suggest level 1 songs for the seasoned beginner, level 2 for the intermediate, 3 and 4 for advanced.

I do need to go back and update LP as we’ve added over 40 lessons and the Reading Course since it was written. But, one thing I’d like to do – which harkens more on your original question – is to write structured, step by step lesson plans that you can follow. These would be detailed plans that focus on developing one area. I haven’t started working on this yet, but the idea is there, and I’d imagine that the structure would be something similar to what you see in our courses.

Thanks for the answer Andrew and I would love to see that detailed plan someday. Sounds like a great idea.

On a side note, I just started looking at the course on reading music and was thinking an optional pdf download of course would be awesome. I’d like to open it up in kindle and be able to highlight, make flash cards, etc.

becky7777
    Participant

Sprintingyogini – I run around with this fire tablet all day. (I suppose it’s like my not-a-smartphone? LOL) LOL

I downloaded wps office app on it since amazon already used a portion of it in the place it keeps all the operating system junk.

It makes all the tabs a .pdf automatically once it downloads and opens them. (And it’s free.)

becky7777
    Participant

Andrew-

The only place I can find a search field is on the forums, and it only returns forum results. Is this a current feature or is it in planning for the future?

Searching for techniques like backbeat would be amazingly handy!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Yes, Becky. Check out the 2nd video in LP and jump 12 min into it: https://rockclass101.com/learning-paths/

becky7777
    Participant

Ahh the evils of tablets with on screen keyboards that cover the bottom 1/3 of the screen! It hides all kinds of things once the page stops scrolling!

Love the outlined definition of each player skill level based on skills learned.

It doesn’t directly answer how the actual ‘song levels’ are figured in blatant “This song is placed in level 1 because it’s a repetitive strumming pattern + 3-4 normal chords in open position.” But yeah after reading the player skill definitions I can start looking at why a song might be placed higher or lower then another song now I think.

I need a good whack on the head by the Captain Obvious stick sometimes!

(Just to clarify- For anyone wondering about the reference it has nothing to do with creepy fruit animations on the internet. Let’s just say I have had fun odd friends in my past.)

Anyway thank you both. The song levels have been mysterious and I’ve wondered about that for months.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.