Little notes on staff of Irish washerwoman?

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons Little notes on staff of Irish washerwoman?

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    laurasil
    Participant

I was checking out the songs for next month’s challenge and came across something I’d love to understand. I saw some small notes at the beginning of some bars (e.g bar 1), but I don’t understand their meaning or value, seeing that it’s a 6/8 song and there are already 6 eight notes on that first bar.

How would they be played? Should I ignore them?

Thanks 🙂

• This topic was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by laurasil.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Those are grace notes. A grace note can be thought of as adding an extra bit of flourish to the following note. There are 2 types:

1) On the beat (no line through the stem)
    2) before the beat

null

So that song has the 5th fret, string 1 (D Note) as a grace note on the beat. You want to do a fast pull-off from 5 to 4 on beat 1. Def don’t skip the pull-off or the music won’t sound right.

Andrew
    Keymaster

P.S. Unfortunately the tab player only allows me to input “grace notes before the beat”; which are displayed with a line through the note. This would be plucking slightly before beat one.

I’ve requested they add the other grace note functionality to the player. Just pointing this out, so you don’t get confused comparing tab (which is correct) to tab player (incorrect).

laurasil
    Participant

Ok!! Thank you 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

My pleasure!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.