Malaguena

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    surferjay
    Participant

So I started to learn a bit of Malagueña and went down the rabbit hole of watching different Ukulele versions on YouTube.

What I wanted to do was take bits from each version and stick it together. However I’m not sure if it’s all in the same key (or if that even matters).

I’ve started learning the Phrygian dominant scale in A for all the finger style bits but am not sure if I can use this key with the rock class version.

P.s I also watched an insane version by Paul Caca who is not using low G. So wondered if this would also be possible with the rock class version.

Andrew
    Keymaster

What I wanted to do was take bits from each version and stick it together. However I’m not sure if it’s all in the same key (or if that even matters).

You would need to play in the same key as ours. If you need help transposing, Stephen could help you in a Skype lesson.

I’ve started learning the Phrygian dominant scale in A for all the finger style bits but am not sure if I can use this key with the rock class version.

Yep, you can use that!

P.s I also watched an insane version by Paul Caca who is not using low G. So wondered if this would also be possible with the rock class version.

Unfortunately, he’s playing in a different key.

surferjay
    Participant

Thanks for all the helpful info. I think to play this well and transpose other people’s techniques I’m going to need to understand a bit more theory (which is a good thing).. I’m going to finish learning River Flows and perhaps Canon D then take on Malagueña properly. I would definitely be interested in some online lessons at that time!

I promised myself if I learnt river flows and Canon D I can justify a Pono Tenor Pineapple 😂😂😂

I just also wanted add that the lesson on River Flows is so well put together and Stephen explains everything so well.. I never thought I could learn that song but I’m prett sure in a month I can play a variation of it. Such an amazing site 👍🔥🔥🔥

Andrew
    Keymaster

Thank you for the kind words, Jay! I’ll pass them along to Steven 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.