Meditative music

Home Page Forums Uke Talk Meditative music

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    robinboyd
    Participant

I’ve come to a bit of a realisation about my own playing. I really like to play the sort of relaxed and haunting music that puts me into a meditative frame of mind. This isn’t necessarily the sort of music that I like listening to, but when I play it, it really calms me. On RC101, these are pieces like Moon, Zelda’s Lullaby, and Jurassic Park. Non-RC101 arrangements that have the same effect are Jenny of Oldstones for guitalele and Path of the Wind. Playing more upbeat stuff doesn’t do that for me. When I’m 64 is a good example of that. Anyway, I just thought it was interesting. What about you guys? I imagine Brenna would have a very different take.

lisadmh
    Participant

Me too. I love some of the chill Etudes best. Etude 1 is my go to song, now along with Etude 17 and my chilled out meditative version of 18. I can play then over and over and over again.

rickeymike
    Participant

Robin, Yes, I do like the meditative pieces and usually I don’t have to sing which makes it even better. Ha. Right now I’m working on The Theme From Romeo & Juliet from 1969. Very pretty meditative and melodic. And it’s got that “Elizabethan sound” which I think goes well with the ukulele.

lisadmh
    Participant

Nice one to be working on Rickey! Please post when you’re ready. I’d love to hear it.

I bet Andrew could do an amazing arrangement of it.

robinboyd
    Participant

I’d like to hear it too 🙂

gstriph
    Participant

You might look at the book Arpeggio Meditations by Daniel Ward. He also has a new counterpart Melodic meditations.

Jerry

robinboyd
    Participant

Thanks @gstriph. I’ve seen the title around. I’ll look it up if I ever need inspiration. Right now, my problem isn’t lake of inspiration, it’s too many things that I want to play, including that piece that Matt wrote for his wife.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.