My first original song

Home Page Forums Showcase Your Playing My first original song

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    tastyshrimp
    Participant

I’ve been kind of on a lofi kick recently, and I wanted to try to make something that captured that same feeling. I was really pleasantly surprised by FMaj7 (7555) and that kind of inspired the whole thing. I think a lot of this piece is a mish-mash of phrases or ideas that I like as opposed to being something that is water-tight from a composition and music theory standpoint. I definitely need to go through the songwriting course, but I think it’d be fun to see what a composition looks like pre and post-course. I’ve also attached the score if anyone wants to take a look.

jinajupiter
    Participant

Congratulations with your opus #1, sounds very charming.

becky7777
    Participant

Nice tastyshrimp! 👍 Did great with the lofi wavery echo sound!! (I like where you are going with this though.)

(I have no idea what kind of ukulele you have. (Gloss or satin) The nail scratch you mentioned iap, might work with the back of your nail? You might want to try experimenting with fingerpicks too? A plastic one (or whatever material you like), or some thing backwards on a finger so it’s like a nail on whichever scratching finger might be enough to get the sound you want? It would probably have a higher chance of damaging your soundboard faster if you’re concerned though. Just ideas)

ripley
    Participant

Like it @tastyshrimp 🙂
    It reminds me of the soundtracks to Studio Ghibli movies!

tastyshrimp
    Participant

Thanks! @becky7777 I was using a Lanikai QM-RDCEC which is really glossy so I don’t think I could get that cool nail scratch sound, but I’m definitely going to experiment a little bit more with adding some percussion

Andrew
    Keymaster

Very pretty! Keep writing 🙂

tastyshrimp
    Participant

@becky7777 I think I figured out another way to get that scratch+pluck effect without scratching. You take your index finger and do a strumming motion, but instead of strumming “through” the strings, you kind of angle your finger so that the nail hits close to the sound hole. It’s almost like a lazy flick. This video helped out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGc1xRkZ9-U

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.