My gear

Home Page Forums Discuss Your Gear My gear

Tagged: , , , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    paulieg123

I have 3 different ukuleles, I have an acoustic which was my first, an all electric ukulele, with an amp and a distortion pedal,and an acoustic electric which is my newest. I plan to add to my collection and want to buy a loop pedal so that I can do Back beats to the song as well as play it. I love your videos and would like some modern songs. Thanks

Andrew
    Keymaster

Awesome, post some pictures! Here’s the loop pedal I use. The video demo I shot is for guitar, but it works great with uke.

carmeloukes
    Participant

Here’s my gear!

My first one was a cheap souvenir that I tried learning on, then I got an Andoer, which surprisingly sounds pretty nice. My son decorated it for me for Father’s day. My wife got me the fender, which I needed to learn Pachelbel’s canon (which I totally love how it sounds), and then I got a makala waterman because I was going to be on a houseboat for sometime and didn’t want to ruin a wooden one.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by carmeloukes.
    iamblake
    Participant

The kala the was the first one I got, last December. The yellow one was one I built myself.. the frets spacing is awful but it was fun to make. I got the third uke earlier this year and I love it. It is a caramel zebrawood tenor. It was only $40 and is worth $100 in my opinion.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by iamblake.
    willkuchta
    Participant

I have a Kala 15s soprano, my first Uke.

A Lanakai concert, a Koa laminate, its pretty sound is average

A Noah Tenor, hand built, solid mahogany. They are hand built in the far east and sold in England. I found it on an Ebay auction, serial number 7. I sent it off to Uke republic for set-up added some Living Water strings, now I love it. It has a few hand built imperfections that I think gives it real character. I may buy a Noah Monkeypod Tenor.

Holy Grail at this time is Cocobolo Tenor. They are only selling via lottery now. I will trying!

shapoe1
    Participant

These are my Ukuleles!

From left to right in the picture-
    Makala soprano MK-S: about $50 for uke, gig bag, starter DVD, and tuner on Amazon. No setup. I think it has a cheap mahogany laminate top. Great uke for a beginner that wants something portable. Bad uke for someone that plays A LOT. Very durable, light, and holds tune once you break strings in (as long as they are good Strings).

Kala tenor KA-T: around $170 (+taxes) for uke from Dusty Strings in Seattle. Setup. Mahogany laminate body and back, rosewood fretboard. Very loud. Great upgrade from the soprano (it’s a step up). Warm sound and frets are bigger so it’s easier to practice on. Low G.

Kala concert KA-SMHC: around $270 (+taxes) for uke from Dusty Strings. Setup. Solid mahogany body with tortoiseshell trim and satin finish. Rosewood fretboard. Next step up brand-wise from the other Kala’s. This is my favorite size to play. Very warm sounding and soothing. Opens with time.

Ohana long-neck soprano SK-30M: around $170 for uke from Mim’s Ukes (online). Setup. All solid body mahogany with matte finish and white trim. Rosewood fretboard. Extended concert length fretboard with soprano body. Different brand with a different sound. Very punchy and loud for a soprano made of mahogany. The perfect marriage of a banjo and a soprano uke. SUPER LIGHT. It’s very portable. I use a really big soprano case from Dusty Strings to carry it. Opens with time.

I’m hoping to eventually get an amp and pick ups so I can get more volume. Any recommendations?

andracass
    Participant

My two ukes: a Mahimahi yellow (40€) and an Islander mss 4. Both sopranos.

darrellw
    Participant

Here are my three Ukes, a (£50) Donner Tenor in Spruce and mahogany, a (£120) Antonio Carvalho concert in all solid Acacia and a (£50) Muke soprano in mahogany, I had them all from Amazon.
    There were small issues that needed attention but nothing I couldn’t cope with.
    I also play guitars and have four of them, a Strat, a Telecaster, a 1970 Terada classical that I found in a junk shop and rebuilt and a Freshman Apollo 4 0C.
    I have a Blackstar ID core BEAM, EHX looper and a volume/expression pedal.
    None of my Ukes are Electro so at some stage I shall either get an Electro or retro fit the favourite of my 3 with the electronics. At some stage I need to get a Mic but no rush as my singing voice is terrible and only to be heard if I’ve had one too many but my wife and daughter are both good singers!
    I’m trying to learn to use Reaper as my DAW but progress is slow 🙂
    Oh and I forgot, I’m 65 years young (big kid!!!) and only happy when I’m learning something 😉

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by darrellw.
    kayleighb

I have a very cheap Mahalo ukelele which I got at Christmas. Switched out the strings for aquila and got a clip on tuner straight away. Doesn’t have the best sound however as I had never played before it has done me well. Am looking to upgrade now possibly to a concert size but there are too many options to choose from!

darrellw
    Participant

Hi Kay,
    Do you know Hobgoblin music? They have a few nice concert Ukes:
    https://www.hobgoblin.com/local/sales/c/350/ukuleles/?Order=S4&Category=350
    A lot depends on your budget but you won’t go wrong with Kala at any price.
    If you want a ‘keeper’ then I would try to save for an all solid wood one, if it’s just a step up a solid top one would be good. Also make sure that it gets a decent setup before you part with your money. If you need any further info just ask.

darrellw
    Participant

Hi Kay,
    Do you know Hobgoblin music? They have a few nice concert Ukes:
    https://www.hobgoblin.com/local/sales/g/350-002/concert-ukuleles/?Order=S2&ProductGroup=350-002
    A lot depends on your budget but you won’t go wrong with Kala at any price.
    If you want a ‘keeper’ then I would try to save for an all solid wood one, if it’s just a step up a solid top one would be good. Also make sure that it gets a decent setup before you part with your money. If you need any further info just ask.

kayleighb

Thanks Darrell will check them out. This is what I’m looking into at the moment as there are different woods and finishes and as a complete novice I’ve no idea what the difference is. I think for now I’m looking at a step up one rather than a keeper just due to price (saving for our wedding).

darrellw
    Participant

OK Kay, understood – in that case anything on this page would be good, this company has an international reputation and doesn’t sell anything of inferior quality, my next one is definitely coming from them!
    http://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/Category/142ea16d-3cd6-4c1d-87c7-1fa2476fd708/Concert?all=1
    And here is a great place for honest reviews:
    http://www.gotaukulele.com/p/ukulele-reviews.html?m=1

kayleighb

Thanks. That’s super helpful. Probably looking in the region of £150-£200 max so should be able to get a fairly decent one for that. Definately leaning towards Kala as that seems to be an industry standard make. It’s just looking at the different woods/finishes. Want to make sure I get the right one 😁

andracass
    Participant

I have just added a Kala all solid acacia concert. It was a big deal in the main Italian shop. It has a beautiful sound and very good volume and sustain.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.