My gear

Home Page Forums Discuss Your Gear My gear

Tagged: , , , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    egomaniac
    Participant

Aloha everyone!

Here’s a few pics of my 3 Tenors(Not Pavarotti, Carreras, Domingo).😂😂😂

Kala solid acacia tenor (ASAC-T)w/ low G Aquila red and super nylgut strings

Kala elite series solid Koa 1 tenor w/ Aquila AG x AQ strings(love the mint green)

Sojing Ukll-ax1 Silent electric tenor w/ Aquila super nylgut.

Fusion double tenor ukulele bag. (Best bag I’ve ever owned.)

Had all of them set up at my local shop here except the elite(it was perfectly set up coming from the craftsmen in Petaluma)🙌🏽. Love having a low g tenor and std re-entrant tenor to play with. The cheap silent tenor ukulele was crucial in saving my relationship with my gf 😂😭😩. I drive her batty apparently…

Have a couple of cheap concert ukes not worth mentioning and a Taylor 6 string guitar.

cyberloh
    Participant

Hi Andrew, I’m interested in buying a mobile Amp as I’m looking to play the uke in front of a crowd. What do you suggest?

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Cyberloh, Roland makes great amps. I own a Roland and used it for vocals/playing backing tracks at gigs. But, I have a recommendation for you. I also own the Fishman Loudbox mini. This is a fantastic acoustic and vocal amp. It’s kind of like the gold standard: It’s affordable and highly popular. I’d recommend this for you.

cyberloh
    Participant

Thank you so much, Andrew. I’ll go for the Fishman Loudbox Mini.

cyberloh
    Participant

Hi Andrew, I’ve another question. I noticed that you are using the Monster Classic Angled to Straight Instrument Cable and not the Straight to Straight Cable. What is the advantage of the Angled to Straight Cable over the Straight to Straight Cable?

Andrew
    Keymaster

They are much better if you are sitting down to play. The straight ones are really uncomfortable unless you are only standing up to play.

cyberloh
    Participant

I get it. Thank you Andrew! I’ll buy the Angled to Straight Cable.

Andrew
    Keymaster

My pleasure!

kayleighb

So I think I finally decided on the uke upgrade – only to then find out it’s out of stock with Southern Ukelele where I was looking doh!

Anyway, it’s the Ohana CK39 concert model. I must hace watched a gazillion youtube reviews of different ukes but this seems to be the one I keep coming back too.

http://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/Product/3751/

I’ve messaged the retailer to find out if/when it will be back.

This one looks like a close 2nd;
    http://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/Product/355/Ohana-CK35G-Concert-Ukulele-All-Solid-Mahogany-Gloss-Geared-Tuners

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by kayleighb.
    egomaniac
    Participant

Aloha Kayleighb,

I’m leaning towards the one with the geared tuners!

Both look great, I just prefer geared tuners over friction tuners from past experiences.

Can’t wait to see what you end up with!

Aloha Ke Akua

Hey guys, here is our (wife and I) ukulele collection. Left to right
    Island Ukulele of Kuai- soprano, solid Koa , hand made.
    Pono- concert, solid mango, pineapple shape.
    Romero Creation- Grand Tenor, solid Koa.
    Kamoa- Tenor, cedar top, mahogany sides and back
    Sunlight- soprano, laminate.
    We’ve been playing for 2 years and we love it. I tell people we have U.A.S. Ukulele Aquistions Syndrome. Our mantra “ We only need one more “.

dav951753
    Participant

Is islander ukulele good?

I’m considering about buying an Islander ukulele AC-4.

Will you recommend it? Or should I go with Kala KA-C?

Thanks

lisadmh
    Participant

I love my islander. I keep trying kalas in the store and I know they’re an industry standard but they don’t sound or feel as good to me, and I’ve found a shocking number of the ones I try have issues with the C string buzzing when fretting the first fret. Many people love kala though. Maybe search for reviews though.

Any chance you can go to a store and try them out? It’s so important to get your fingers on it, I think.

andracass
    Participant

I own a soprano Islander all solid mahogany and a Kala concert all solid acacia. They are both very good and with a nice sound. The only thing I can tell you that maybe you will not find in the specifics of the shops is that the Kala has the handle more narrow of 4mm along its length from the nut to the hole. 34mm at the nut for the Kala, 38mm for the Islander. Perhaps this can be useful for your choice.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by andracass.
    dav951753
    Participant

Thanks! The thing is they don’t have kala KA-c in the store, but I think they do have a Islander AC-4. I might bring my ukulele to there and compare both. Although mine is Kala KA-S, which is a soprano.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.