My gear

Home Page Forums Discuss Your Gear My gear

Tagged: , , , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    lisadmh
    Participant

I went to a free festival at a huge music store nearby today.

Saw Kim Mitchel live and got a $40 gift card to the store as a door prize. So I got a baby! I was planning for a concert, but none of them were calling to me and this little guy was so cute. It’s the third one in the picture, a Kala long neck soprano. I’ll get the little extra stretch on the concert fretboard even if it’s soprano, I figure. It’ll eventually get strung to low G.

So here’s my family now. So proud of them. 🙂

2018-06-02_08-48-42

miztaken
    Participant

Hi, In three years I have become a bit fanatical.
    As a previous non-musician, I have really fallen in love with what this little instrument can do, and what I have the potential to achieve (never been a fan of the uke club plunketty-plunk one tune fits all /sing-a-long at the top of your voice style).
    And that has led me to purchase/or receive as gifts – seven ukes:
    #1 Gretsch Camp ukulele, soprano (reissue)
    #2 Mahalo tenor, now strung with low G so it sounds more like a guitar (now warping below the bridge, so I am waiting for it to die)
    #3 Kala Waterman soprano (my ghost ukeulele)
    #4 Beloved Deering Goodtime Banjolele, 12″ tenor
    #5 Aiersi concert
    #6 Bohemian electric ?soprano coming next week for birthday
    #7 Kala tenor (purchased yesterday because nothing sounded “right” with the picking techniques from Andrew, and it has to sound right).

I cannot wait to improve my playing on ALL of them.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by miztaken.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by miztaken.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by miztaken. Reason: having trouble loading my picture
    kanae926
    Participant

Wow, Lisa! I didn’t know you had so many ukes! I’ve been wanting that long neck Kala soprano for a while. Nice acquisition!

Miztaken, I love the diversity in your collection. So cool! I’m glad I’m not the only one with acquisition syndrome. 😉

I currently have three (a soprano and two concerts), but I want at least 4 others I’ve been eyeing for the near future and that says something considering I’ve only been playing 4 months. LOL 😆 Not that having more ukuleles will make me a better player, but it sure makes it more fun!

deadbuggy
    Participant

Hey, I made the email! Thanks, Andrew.

I’ve been playing guitar for more than 40 years (self-taught who first started out playing really lousy 5-string banjo at age 14 until I wised up and bought a guitar in college) who only first picked up a uke about 5 years ago. I’ve become more serious in the last couple of years and my collection has gone through several iterations as I look for the one(s)that are right for me. I think I may have found it — just got a Kala Cedar/Ziricote tenor yesterday from The Ukulele Site folks in Hawaii. It’s an exclusive model to their store as it has a laminate zizicote back and sides along with solid cedar top. It’s not even been 24 hours but I absolutely love it. As others have said, they do a fantastic job with the set-up. Don’t hesitate to buy a uke from them!

miztaken
    Participant

deadbuggy – that is a beautiful instrument!!!
    I can’t hear it, but boy – it sure looks fine!
    I already have uke-envy – can’t wait to hear you play (video, maybe?!?)

kanae926
    Participant

Miztaken, there’s an amazing video she posted of My Girl. It’s so good! And her uke is BEAUTIFUL. 😍😍😍

deadbuggy
    Participant

kanae — thank you for the kind words about My Girl. I’m taking Andrew’s advice to ‘make songs your own’ when I can’t do the techniques he shows us!

miztaken — I really adore the cedar Kala. Have had it for about a week now and I can’t put it down. Next month, you’ll see a video of me playing the Shadow Lands etude on it 🙂 I also have a Kala tenor mahogany scallop cutaway which I really like and is now strung with a low G string; looking forward to Andrew’s low G songs to showcase that one!

lisadmh
    Participant

Oooh, pretty. Added to my extensive wish list!

kanae926
    Participant

The Ukulele Site is having Labor Day Weekend Specials! Not everything is on sale, but of the ones that are, OMG! 😲😲😲

I just ordered two ukuleles (one concert, one tenor; both in Low G). I got a nice bonus from work and I blew it all! 😂

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by kanae926.
    deadbuggy
    Participant

kanae — which ukes did you order? Very exciting!

kanae926
    Participant

I bought an Islander MT-4-RB (tenor version of the September challenge giveaway prize) and a Kala KA-SSTU-SMC-C (thinbody solid spruce top cutaway travel uke with laminate spalted maple back and sides in concert).

Both were on sale and I had an unexpected $500 award from work that I wanted to spend. Albeit to say, after adding on a bunch of extra strings, a shirt, and a hardcase for the tenor, I spent just under $520 (😱). I didn’t NEED two more ukuleles, but when in Rome! I don’t have a tenor yet and since both will be strung with low G, they’ll be super fun additions to my collection.

I’ll need to take a picture of all of my ukes together in a couple weeks when I get my two new babies delivered. 😉

deadbuggy
    Participant

They both look and sound fantastic — congrats! I love the Ukulelesite’s videos…

I currently have 4 ukes. All are concert size.

A Kala KA-FMCG
    A Caramel acoustic/electric
    A TFW Banjolele
    and…
    I just got a Kala Waterman….TODAY! lol
    I bought it to carry around with me, so I don’t beat up my good ukes. Mostly for the 1 hour round trip visits to town, when I’m a passenger in my husband’s truck. I can use that time for practicing. So far I am really impressed with the Waterman. Nice tone for being basically a plastic uke.

kanae926
    Participant

Nice collection, crazihippichic! I just bought the thin body version of that Kala concert (KA-SSTU-SMC-C) and it’ll probably get delivered within a week or two. I can’t wait…the spalted maple on the back and sides are so pretty! Your Waterman is super cute! Is that one glow in the dark? For a small plastic uke, I thought about getting a Waterman in pink or this Flight TUS50. The Flight uke isn’t all plastic (has a laminate top), but I read and have seen reviews that it sounds great, too.

Thanks, Kanae926. 😊
    The back on my Kala is gorgeous. I’ve attached a pic.
    My Waterman isn’t glow in the dark, unfortunately. I believe that feature is only available in the Soprano size. The soprano also comes in a wider selection of colors.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.