New strings

Home Page Forums Uke Talk New strings

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    robinboyd
    Participant

I just ordered a whole bunch of new strings from Uke Republic. Not because I need new strings, but because I’m running low on spares. I just gave my spare set of fluorocarbons to a friend and I decided that I really don’t like unwound fluorocarbon low G strings, so I’m about to replace the low G on my tenor with a wound string. I was going to try playing Moon on my tenor at one point, and I decided against it because the string goes out of tune if I try to play it up the fretboard. Anyway, the other reason is because I wanted to get a few spare sets of Carbonblacks while they are still available. They’re the only string I’ve found that manages to totally kill the wolf tone on one of my ukes, so I want to stay stocked up. Okay, I’m probably just procrastinating. Time to get back to work.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I’ve been thinking about this. Super nylgut’s w/ GHS low G came on my new uke. I love the Low G – it’s like a guitar string, steel. But I don’t like the supers. I’ve always played new nylgut. Super feels too thick, requiring more callous. Which is not an issue if you’ve played steel string instruments, but I can see it being really uncomfortable for uke only players.

When I restring, I’ll put new’s on and buy a ghs separate.

robinboyd
    Participant

Interesting to hear about the GHS and Super Nylgut. I haven’t tried either. The low G strings I have tried are below.

New Nylgut – It sounded really loud and the winding started wearing off at the first fret within a few months.
    Aquila Red – Not as boomy as the others, but I didn’t like the tone as much. Not bad, though.
    PHD – Sounds great at the first few frets, but goes a bit sharp when playing up the fretboard.
    Fremont Soloist – Love it.

I just ordered new strings (and two more ukuleles!) also. I got the lavas for my concert, reds for my soprano and GCEA set for the new baritone, which hasn’t yet arrived.

This was my first attempt at replacing a set of strings and I’m pretty happy with it.

How often and why do you replace strings?

lisadmh
    Participant

What would y’all recommend for the low g? I think I have aquila reds. It’s a wound low g and it’s really boomy. Huge sustain that overpowers everything even with a basic strum. Is the freemont less boomy?

Sprint, I change more than necessary. It staves off the ukulele acquisition syndrome. Andrew talked about string changes in the last (?) lightening round.

robinboyd
    Participant

@sprintingyogini – well done. I don’t really have a schedule for changing strings. I change them when they start sounding a bit dull, when the winding starts to come off the low G, when I decide the intonation is out, when I want to try something new, or just when I’m bored.

@lisadmh
    – try getting a single unwound Red low g. They don’t come in packs of 4, you have to buy them separately. Uke republic has them. They are the best for killing the boominess that I have found. Fremont Soloists are still a bit boomy, but I’ve managed to compensate for that with technique and I really like the clear tone.

robinboyd
    Participant

Another place that I like to buy strings is Strings by Mail. Here is a link to the Red low G I was talking about.

https://www.stringsbymail.com/aquila-red-tenor-ukulele-string-4th-unwound-low-g-tuning-72u-single-11144.html

Now that I know I can change strings, I don’t want to stop. Aquila Lava here. Looks great. Sounds great.

Also, as mentioned, I ordered replacement strings for the baritone I ordered. I received concert strings. Before I send them back, can people put concert strings on a baritone or did my order get messed up? Pretty sure it’s the second, but want to make sure I’m not missing some ukulele string secret.

robinboyd
    Participant

Hi @sprintingyogini. I’m pretty sure they stuffed up.

cyberloh
    Participant

I bought 2 sets of Aquila tenor strings online recently, one New Nylgut Low G (15U) and the other Super Nylgut High G (106U). But I do not know whether there are real or fake. Anyone knows how do distinguish fake strings from real strings? Maybe Andrew can help?

cyberloh
    Participant

This is the New Nylgut Low G

robinboyd
    Participant

Hi Cyberloh – Do you have any reason to suspect that they are fake? I don’t really have any tips apart from contacting Mimmo at Aquila if you are unsure. Having said that, isn’t the 15U supposed to be a wound low G? Your set looks like a high g set.

I have some Aquila strings with the colored tips like that if that’s any indication. I’ve also had them in the plastic with the stickers.

cyberloh
    Participant

Robinboyd, the G string is a wound Low G. Here is a clearer picture. I suspect they are not genuine because of the packing.
    1. All 4 Low G strings (15U) are individually wrapped in a plastic bag with a colour sticker, but only the plastic bag of the G string is sealed. The other 3 have an open top.
    2. The 4 High G strings (106U), on the other hand, are not wrapped in a plastic bag at all. They are twisted together and has a colour tip.

Sprintingyogini, looks like your strings are having the same packing as mine.

robinboyd
    Participant

Hi Cyberloh,

It’s good to see that it’s wound.

I am inclined to think that they are genuine and any inconsistencies in packaging are because, in spite of their seeming ubiquity, Aquila is actually a small family company run by a guy in Italy and they change the way they do things from time to time. If you’re at all unsure, I’d recommend sending them a query through their website (they have a “contact us” button). I’m sure Mimmo will help you out.

Robin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.