New strings

Home Page Forums Uke Talk New strings

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Another argument for real strings: I don’t think strings would be a common counterfeit item. They’re already pretty affordable. If I was gonna sell a fake item, I’d go for diamonds or alligaor skin.

becky7777
    Participant

Sprintingyogini- It’s probably more common with guitar strings, but phillip mcknight from know your gear made a youtube video “Can you spot counterfeit guitar strings?” a week or so ago. He shows real and fake ones. They’re pretty clever. I wouldn’t know the difference without a real set right by the fake. (His Christmas story had me laughing so hard too lol!)

In personal ukulele context for those going ‘why watch a guitar string video?’:

The concert uke I got comes with a “lifetime supply” of free above mentioned brand strings. After seeing this video I have suspicions they aren’t the brand they claim they are, (They come with zero branding in a clear baggie..) but the customer service is really nice and prompt and I really have no reason to think they’re lying, I mean, they probably made a deal with the manufacturer in bulk. (I’d like to think so since they seem like a popular, big, legitimate brand) Plus strings on request for life is a nice perk IF they send them since I’m monetarily challenged 99% of the time so i’m not pushing the matter…

I’m gonna look not this video. Would counterfit strings be fishing line? What even is that? Do counterfit strings work? Fascinating.

cyberloh
    Participant

Thanks, Robinboyd, I’ll liaise with Aquila.

robinboyd
    Participant

Well I finally got around to replacing the G string on my tenor and it sounds so much better. Now I can play Moon on it without wincing every time I play the G string up the fretboard.

lyndallk
    Participant

Thanks for starting this discussion Robin. I wonder if anyone’s still reading …

I tend to use the same strings all the time but might try some of the others people have suggested to see what they’re like.

I use Worth fluorocarbon red. And for the low G string I use oasis wound and am happy with the sound.

Worth provided ebough string for two ukes.

miztaken
    Participant

I have Living Water strings on my eucalele (Ken Livingston).
    I really like them, but I don’t know if it is the strings or the euc?!?!
    I will be buying some more when in Atlanta from the 18th, and will change over some of my other ukes too.
    I have two or three being set-up (properly) next week, so it will probably end up being them.

robinboyd
    Participant

I’ve always wanted to try Living Waters and Worths. I’ve never tried either of them. I’ll get around to it some day.

I know what you mean about not knowing if you like the strings or the uke. When I got my mango uke, I got a bunch of spare strings without realising that I really liked the uke but not the strings. I only realised it when I strung it with something else and it sounded better!

robinboyd
    Participant

Just got the new strings, which included a code for 1-month’s free membership on RC101. Because I’m already a paying member, I gave it to a uke-playing friend. Hopefully we’ll see her on here at some point 🙂

glennclewis63
    Participant

Hey, is anyone aware of any strings out there comparable to the Southcoast medium gauge? They were the best strings I’ve ever used – by far – and the company abruptly went out of business a few months back. I’ve tried a bunch, both before and after finding Southcoast, and nothing has come close, yet. Well, except for the Southcoast heavy gauge. Daddario, Martin, GHS, PHD, Romero, Oasis, Worth, Aquila Carbonblacks, Aquila Nylgut, Aquila Reds, Galli, and a couple more whose names don’t readily come to mind. I’m thinking about trying some of the Living Water strings, anyone have experience with those?

miztaken
    Participant

My eucalele came from Uke Republic with Living Water strings, and I didn’t have anything to compare them with on that uke until today, because it was re-strung with Worths yesterday.
    So: the Living Water strings were crisp, bright, bell-like on my eucalele. They sounded really pretty, delicate but still with great volume.
    The Worths in comparison, are warm, more woody mellow toned.

I think I will go back to the Living Water strings for my eucalele when I get some more.
    But will stay with the Worths on my low G tenor, other concert uke and my banjolele.

I hope that helps. Try them, I like them.

lisadmh
    Participant

I just got some fluorcarbon low G strings and I can already tell I’m going to like them better than the boomy loud wound G aquilas.

That is the good news.

The bad news is as I string them on, the E string keeps clicking and going back to way low out of tune. I can’t tune it.

I think my tuner is broken??

Edit: what happens if you accidentally reverse the E and A strings? Maybe I did that?

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by lisadmh.
    lisadmh
    Participant

Strings update in case anyone encounters a similar problem.

I flipped the E and A and still couldn’t tune the A. It was A that was wrong and it was by typing E here that I realized I had perhaps flipped then. But fixing didn’t help, so I went back to aquila for just the A and it tunes fine.

I think the pack might have contained two E strings. They do look the same. So now I have mismatched strings, but a working uke and a low G I like. Win some and lose some!

robinboyd
    Participant

Another update: I decided the Oasis Warms on my mango uke were getting a bit worn, so I put Aquila Reds back on it. I have to say, I love the feel and the tone of the Reds.

Unfortunately, I just realised that Uke Republic sent me the wrong strings, though. They sent Lavas instead of Carbon Blacks. I didn’t realise because the packaging looks so similar and I didn’t look too closely when they first arrived (I imagine they made the mistake for the same reason). That’s disappointing.

robinboyd
    Participant

After 3 weeks, Uke Republic still hasn’t returned any of my emails or Facebook messages and it looks like nobody else has any Carbonblacks in stock. I’ll have to try the new Martins and see how I go. I would have totally understood if Uke Republic had said something like “you took too long to realise and we don’t have any left in stock, but would you like to buy some of the new Martins instead?” but refusing to respond just makes me angry. I won’t be buying from them again.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.