Niel Gow's Lament For His Second Wife

Home Page Forums Uke Talk Niel Gow's Lament For His Second Wife

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    becky7777
    Participant

Niel Gow’s Lament for his Second Wife is one of my favorite songs. I came across this guy who figured it out on ukulele! He even put out some tabs. For those who can read music, i’m sure there’s a lot of sheet music written for it (for violin) out there.

Niel Gow’s Lament: Irish Video and Tab

This song is one of my long term goals. (Well- to not completely murder the song is first on my list, and then, to figure out the Scottish or Irish sounding fancy stuff in there eventually.) I need to figure out what ukulele ghost notes are too. Are they soft notes or optional? I found an explanation for drums online and it’s confusing… I suppose i’ll figure it out lol.

Anyway, I wanted to share this for anyone interested in trying it. It’s a beautiful song and this guy did a really nice job of it on his ukulele.

If anyone finds any tutorials on putting in the embellishments that make it sound Irish/Scottish can you link them here? It’s hard to search for something I can’t put a name to.

annefgodfrey
    Participant

Becky, thank you for sharing Niel Gow’s Lament for his Second Wife.
    Happy Halloween to all!

becky7777
    Participant

I’ve been working on this a little so far, but it’s above my current skill level. I’ll put up some recordings so nice community members can cringe at my struggles and maybe hopefully give advise.

I’m working on gypsy woman, moon, this, clawhammer ukulele, (Wow i’m BAD at clawhammer!!!! But I want to play a banjo tune “My Dog Has Fleas” – what better song to learn because of the uke’s tuning, and its ‘easy’ if I can get clawhammer down.. 😀 lol!) and lastly working on ukulele anthem. I don’t think I’ll ever memorize that crazy song’s 10 pages of lyrics without getting tongue tied!

I’ll post my niel gow progress asap though. If anyone else knows this and wants to share, please do. I’ve loved this song for such a long time and it’s great someone arranged it for ukulele!

becky7777
    Participant

One finger wonder- Mary had a little lamb- awful version of the lament I figured out from a harp + 2 violin youtube video. NOT from those tabs btw. Just posting this first take. I hit the note on bare wood better the second time it goes to the higher part. I suppose it could make some people feel a whole lot better about their playing though! LOL! I have a loooooong road before I’m going to be playing this any good but i’m determined to learn this song! It’s not so bad for playing uke a month, but i’m aware it’s bad!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.