Nothing Gold Can Stay: The Song

Home Page Forums Showcase Your Playing Nothing Gold Can Stay: The Song

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

So, sigh. I tried to write a song. I am pretty okay with it, but still can’t perform it perfectly and there may be things to change / add. Maybe a lot…

The song was written to go with Robert Frost’s Nothing Gold Can Stay as lyrics:

Nothing Gold Can Stay
    Robert Frost – 1874-1963

Natureโ€™s first green is gold,
    Her hardest hue to hold.
    Her early leafโ€™s a flower;
    But only so an hour.
    Then leaf subsides to leaf.
    So Eden sank to grief,
    So dawn goes down to day.
    Nothing gold can stay.

I picked it because it is a short poem of his (but I’m obsessed with all his poems) and I just wanted to see if I could write a melody for it.

You might wonder, “shouldn’t a song with lyrics be sung?” The answer is yes. And I tried. But it may be too bad to share. Maybe someone who can sing on the site could help me at some point, lol. I could share the video of me singing it to show what I want the melody to be, but… Eesh. Even more eesh than my normal videos. LOL.

I also want to say, while I love to make up songs, I don’t think it would have been possible without all I’ve learned from this site so far and the inspiration I gleaned from this site’s incredible originals. So, thank you for that. ๐Ÿ™‚ That said, I still have a long way to go.

Any feedback I would appreciate!

It’s whatever. Ya know?

robinboyd
    Participant

I think I can hear the tune in that. Well done!

surferjay
    Participant

First of all that’s really awesome! Did you say that you made up the melody?

I don’t have any time to play this week but if you want to share the chord progression and how you play it I’ll add to it with a loop and solo ๐Ÿ™‚

p.s You should definitely sing. I have the worlds worst voice and make a point of singing haha

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@robinboyd, thank you kindly! If you think you hear it, it’s probably what it is. ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜…

@surferjay
    , thank you kindly, too! I did. I made up the melody while I was at work. Then I figured it how to play it on my uke later.

I’m obsessed with Robert Frost, like I said, so I have that poem memorized and just figured it how I would sing the words.

That said, I’m not good at singing, at all. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿฅบ

I have to figure out what the chord progression is. I know some of the chords but not all of them. Also I just wrote this song a week ago. I am bad at things. I only wanted to do the fun part which was making up a song.

Obviously, I’m really interested in feedback from @Andrew but I’m sure it’s crunch time with the monthly challenge being almost done. I would guess anyway.

Okay, that’s all. ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜ณ

jbmills07
    Participant

Nice work! ๐Ÿ™‚

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@jbmills07, thank you kindly! โ˜บ๏ธ

amybeth
    Participant

Thatโ€™s great! Iโ€™m impressed! ๐Ÿ‘

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

Awww thank you kindly, @amybeth! There are other things I hope I can do with it other than make my performance slightly less clumsy. ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜…

And welcome by the way! ๐Ÿ˜

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.