Ode to Joy practice and covers

Home Page Forums Showcase Your Playing Ode to Joy practice and covers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    cheick

Hi you all ! This a video about metronome training session. I want to dedicate all April to work rhythm. Be better to read him, be better to play it, be better to follow it, and use a metronome while I play, thing I have never done, of course It was wrong. Thanks for watching 😉

Andrew
    Keymaster

Great job Cheick! The metronome is our best friend. With timing, we can play behind the beat, on the beat, or ahead of the beat. I heard you begin ahead of the beat and end behind the beat. So my advice would be to focus on one of the three throughout the entire performance and I think the best one for this tune is on the beat.

If you can’t hear the difference between the three, slow down the video to 50% speed and listen to the click compared to your playing and it should become more obvious. Keep up the good work!

cheick

Hi thanks for replying.
    I tried to be on the beat, but that was not good. I do not have good ears, that is why I am bad on rhythm and why I can’t hear that I am not on it, it’s like a vicious circle 🙁 . Thanks for the tips for slowing down the video to hear me shiftting from the beat. I will work on it. You’re right metronome is our best friend. I left the metronome behind me for too long, now I can see how I was wrong and all the work I have to do.
    Thanks for feedback, you’re cool !

Andrew
    Keymaster

Don’t be too hard on yourself. You did very well overall! Try and practice this tune as a single note melody too. Simplifying it will help you play on the beat.

cheick

Yeah I can be hard on myself but I’m still keeping up. Two (3) last questions please; I set the metronome up like this : 4/4 with 16th notes so if I understand well 16 bits per mesure, is that good ?
    And I have some little bad sounds when I lift my fingers from strings, like a unwanted pull-off how can I fix it ?
    Ok I will try to simplify it. I struggle the same with Fingerpicking 11 do I have to simplify it too ?
    Thanks for encouraging words, that’s always appreciated 😉

Andrew
    Keymaster

I wouldn’t subdivide the beat, keep it at a quarter note. The unwanted noise happens to all of us, try to make sure your hands are clean and dry when playing. This is harder if you sweat in the hands. And I wouldn’t simplify the other song, take it bar by bar and count along while you play.

cheick

Hi ! Ok I will do that, thanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.