Opinions on preferred size of uke

Home Page Forums Uke Talk Opinions on preferred size of uke

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    jpag7242
    Participant

Hey Everyone,

Can you tell me what you think the most common sized uke used is or see others use. It appears to me that most use concert, but I’m not certain.

I have been practicing on a Tenor, but when I pick up my Concert it becomes easier, for obvious reasons.

I’m getting into the harmonics and rhythm and this inquiry came to my attention.

Also, is the “ring” fairly silent on the harmonics? I can barely hear it unless I hook it to my amp. I presume mikes are used by a lot of people when presenting. Please correct me if I’m wrong. If my harmonics should ring louder without an amp or mike let me know.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Most adults play tenor ukes, but I’d recommend trying all sizes and picking the one you like. I play concerts.

The harmonics should ring at a similar volume to a plucked note. Please post a video playing them so I can take a look at what’s happening and help you out 🙂

jpag7242
    Participant

I think I have it now. 😊 I was just being too delicate on the strum/pluck. Need to practice much more though. I’m trying to get to a point where I can play both sizes. Or at least determine which works better for me.

Just that little bit of feedback pushed me enough to find the sweet spot at a higher volume.

Thank you SO much Andrew. I would choose no other instructor at this point. You’re awesome! Thank you again!

jpag7242
    Participant

Here’s a link to a few attempts on a concert and tenor.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Andrew. Reason: Embedded Video
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Thanks for the kind words! Try to pluck with a finger instead of the thumb. The thumb tends to produce a softer attack then fingers.

jpag7242
    Participant

I’m so grateful. I wondered if that was something I needed to do. I don’t have the control over the finger plucks just yet. Pick up and towards me or down with a nail flick?

Maybe you have a suggestion. I have a connective tissue disorder that causes my joints to move around and hyperextend, making holding frets a bit difficult.
    You can watch through it in my videos. It’s called Ehlers Danlos – hypermobility type.

It has its advantages for reaching chords further away, but can be a bit a hindrance when fretting as the joints don’t want to hold firm and will try to twist away from the pressure, so you may notice I correct that in socal ways. But please give me feedback on easier transitions if you notice them.

I love my tenor, but I noticed you use the concert as well. When I practice with the tenor and nail something, it makes it easier then on the concert.

I’m super excited about being part of your team. I’ve never had so much fun. If you have any additional books/training you wanna send my way, please do so.

lisadmh
    Participant

For what it’s worth, I have all the sizes and like different ones for different things. My go to is soprano. I have fairly large hands for a woman but my stretch isn’t good so it’s easier. My low g is tenor, which I love for the g but I can’t do any stretch. Harmonics do ring better though on tenor. Concert is a reasonable compromise between the two. Soprano always for big stretches though.

jpag7242
    Participant

@lisadmh Thank you so much for your feedback. That’s exactly why I was asking. I actually have 2 tenors and 2 concerts (one low g each) and I was just saying yesterday that I use them all for different things. I have a medical condition that makes holding frets or barring hard sometimes, but I love them all so I find a reason to use each and work on accommodating my downfall areas. I’m still just a baby getting into this so all is still new to me! Thank you again. Your response confirmed several things for me.

Andrew
    Keymaster

For finger, up and towards you. You could grow your thumb nail out and use that. That’s what I did throughout the course and if you watch Evan’s playing, he also does this.

jpag7242
    Participant

@Andrew Thank you for that tip. I’ve been toying with each of my ukes and have found that each has their own quirk. Definitely plucking upwards is making my living room ring MUCH louder. I’m practicing on 5 and 7 now. I refuse to move in with the training until I have them down like 12. 😊

Andrew
    Keymaster

5 rings quieter. I’d keep moving forward but continue to work on it.

jpag7242
    Participant

I also noticed if I pick closer to the middle or bottom of sound hole it brings it out a bit more.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Volume doesn’t change, but timbre does change depending on picking location.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.