Oregon senior

Home Page Forums Introduce Yourself Oregon senior

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    joelmc
    Participant

Been playing 3 yrs and still have sore thumb…. form 1 form 2 thumb position help needed. I baby the thumb by hugging the neck, but want to change. Determined to gain strength for Barr chords and eliminate sore thumb? Many players have thumb high over the neck and this seems to help my soreness, but I would rather learn to use a correct form 1 or form 2?

robinboyd
    Participant

Hi Joel. Welcome.

I’m not a teacher or anything and I’m sure Andrew will have some tips that are better than anything I can offer, but I have also struggled with a sore thumb when playing a lot of barre chords. It’s something that has got a lot better over time, but I still end up with a sore thumb after practicing Moonlight Sonata for a while, for instance.

Apart from strengthening the thumb through practice and being aware of not applying too much pressure (which I’m sure you already know), the one thing that has helped has been making sure my uke doesn’t have a high action. That has meant either sanding down the underside of the saddle until the string height at the 12th fret is in an acceptable range or taking it to a luthier/guitar shop and paying them to do it.

Robin

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Joel, can you share a video. Happy to take a look to see if I can help w/ form issues.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.