Outdoor ukulele?

Home Page Forums Discuss Your Gear Outdoor ukulele?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    lisadmh
    Participant

Anyone have one? I have a ukudelic for outside but it’s pretty bad. I hear the outdoor ukulele is a lot better but looking to confirm. I’m considering getting one despite the international shipping and customs across the border.

suzums
    Participant

I have a carbon soprano that I love and take on vacations. The build of the instrument is great and very comfortable to hold. I installed one strap pin and have the strap on the head stock on the other end. I like Martin fluorocarbon strings on it vs the stock D’Addario strings it comes with. Low G does not work well on the soprano size.

Vic Schmeltz made a couple of great comparison videos of the regular and carbon versions. Personally, had I seen the side-by-side comparison before my purchase, I would have saved some $$ with the regular:

Tenor size: https://youtu.be/ahhXO8MMg7M
    Soprano size: https://youtu.be/DbhxxrklbYQ

Hope this helps!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by suzums.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by suzums.
    lisadmh
    Participant

Thanks suzums! Very helpful indeed. You don’t think the carbon adds anything in terms of durability? I was leaning toward that one, but could save a few dollars if it’s not worth it.

suzums
    Participant

Both of the descriptions are “high impact and scratch resistance, withstand extreme temperatures, are waterproof,” but “50% stronger” descriptor of the carbon was always a vague comparisons between the two for me. I kind of went with the 15% brighter part of the description when I made the decision to purchase mine. (But after watching the two videos, I realized that I like the sound of the regular version more)

As for durability, it’s not too much of a concern for me as I’m not rough with my instruments in general. I always take it as a carry-on in a lightly padded bag when traveling and I put it under the seat in front of me as I just like to keep an eye in my own things. It goes to the park, beach, road trips, and also been in the trunk with no problems.

I would suggest listening for the tone for both and make a decision that way. After all, both choices are durable. It is still an instrument after all, so I feel like the tones would be a good deciding factor.

suzums
    Participant

Plus, the colored ones are quite ptetty! I am still eyeballing the blue soprano as I have considered selling my carbon for a blue.

lisadmh
    Participant

Hmmmm… I’m still thinking carbon just for the potential strength. Suitcase, ability to put it in my suitcase in an airplane? And I like black…. So many decisions!

becky7777
    Participant

Just wanted to toss this out there…

I was looking at the Enya EUC-X1M that onemusicschool did a video review for not too long ago for a couple reasons, outdoor use being one of them.
    Her video for a sound check:

It’s made of hpl and the description on amazon says it isn’t affected by humidity or temperature changes. She said hpl is used for counter tops, so it sounds pretty tough to me. I have no idea how weather proof your uke really needs to be though! I doubt you can toss it in a pond like the plastic ones.

The other is I’m allergic to my new concert ukulele’s “semi closed, open pore” finish… 🙁 (To be fair, the company will take it back, but I’m going to keep it and try putting carnuba guitar wax on it to make a buffer between me and it. Right now i’m wearing a sock on my arm like a fingerless opera glove and it’s keeping me from getting yucky itchy hives.) I plan on getting something together that looks better then a sock though lol!!

Anyway don’t know if that helps, but that enya sounds pretty decent and would be as weather proof as I’m likely to need since I won’t be playing in a rainstorm or in a pond lol.

Edited to add this blog I had read about it. There’s more like it but it shows and tells downsides you might need to consider…
    https://hazeguitars.com/blog/what-you-should-know-about-high-pressure-laminate-hpl-guitars

Sorry for more long posts I am trying to make them small but it doesn’t ever happen… 🙁

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by becky7777.
    lisadmh
    Participant

Thanks! It does look interesting. But I’m looking for something I can play on beach vacations, so splashing is a definite possibility. I agree this would work for most other uses but I think I need plastic. 🌴🌴🌴

becky7777
    Participant

With your seagull avatar I should have figured, 😉 closest I’d get to a beach is a large pool made in a rock quarry they threw some play sand around and call ‘Centennial Beach!’ LOL! 😂

robinboyd
    Participant

@becky7777 – That sounds awful. You’d be able to see the water from our house if there weren’t so many trees. Lots of nice beaches nearby. I don’t know how I’d cope in your position!

lisadmh
    Participant

Robin are your beaches warm? We have some around here but they’re subject to freezing at this time of year, sigh. I fly for a cheap Cuban getaway once a year. Went just last week. I miss palm trees.

Lol, Becky your beach sounds worse than mine!

robinboyd
    Participant

@lisadmh – The water is always a bit chilly, but it’s quite pleasant when the weather is hot. We are just heading into summer, so we should get a few nice days soon.

Here is a photo – https://photos.app.goo.gl/DQxHkDjmpdCtumfX6

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by robinboyd.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by robinboyd.
    malter001
    Participant

I have a carbon tenor, a carbon soprano, and a bottle-green soprano. I like all of them equally well. The green soprano spends most of its time in my car and has so far endured hot weather and current winter temperatures. Amazing how it stays in tune. Compared to my wooden ukuleles the Outdoor ukuleles certainly have their own sound, which I like. My ears aren’t good enough to hear a difference between the two sopranos and their respective materials, though I don’t doubt some people hear a difference.

lisadmh
    Participant

Thanks Malter. I’m convinced at this point that the sound is the same. I’m only holding out on durability. Throwing it in a suitcase, in an airplane, on a beach… Will I regret not upgrading. Amy sense of durability compared to also a waterman? Or ukudelic is technically what I have now.

Robin, nice beach! Looks great for the Uke.

miztaken
    Participant

I have a Waterman – it is nice and strong, but tuning above the fifth fret or so is not very good
    The bridge is really high, so action is also high, and the A string often slips off the fretboard with any minor mis-placement of fingering (but I guess that just makes me concentrate on better finger placement).
    So really it isn’t good for playing the full neck, but you have probably worked that out with your ukedelic.
    Go for the best that you can afford.
    Spare $$$$ for other ukulele “stuff” is false savings if you end up with another uke that just doesn’t meet your needs (I refer back to my own #1, #2,#3, #5 ukes 🤭).

And ask Mike@uke Republic- he may clarify any ????s for you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.