Participate in the March 2024 Member Challenge: Irish Songs!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the March 2024 Member Challenge: Irish Songs!

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    anyon1
    Participant

Thanks @gi_gi_!

And thanks, Andrew, for the feedback. I love the sound of the grace note, but it would definitely be more manageable without it!

jbmills07
    Participant

I am a premium member

I went with Red is the Rose for this month’s challenge, and boy was it a challenge! That last section is a doosy! @jody_hendrickson Well done tackling it and nicely played! I saw @brettboy perform it with the Baritone, and I practiced a bit with it because I loved the way it sounded, but I just couldn’t manage the size with the speed! Well done to everyone this month!

terryfallon3
    Participant

This is my attempt at Red is the Rose.

Andrew, great lesson with a lot of vital information provided on the side.
    As always, thanks.

And happy spring to our Northern Hemi members.

christianwin
    Participant

Hi Andrew!

Christian chose to play “Red is the Rose”. It took him awhile to memorize it but he did it! Happy Easter Everyone!

ldarrow
    Participant

@andrew thanks for your comments and encouragement. Also thank you for the fabulous songs and lessons. @The_Bumble_Bard thank you for listening and the compliments. Also for understanding how it is sometimes difficult to get your best recording. I have struggled the last year. About a year ago I broke one finger and hurt another in my left hand. As a result my left hand ring finger turns out slightly toward my pinky. Ever since, they seem to get into each others way. In addition, sometimes my ring finger (the one I broke) does not seem to go where I think I am putting it. I tend to miss the string sometimes. I know it is just a matter of time and practice to get used to what is now my normal, but wishing I was adjusting more quickly. I enjoyed your submission. Each month everyone really amazes me with their accomplishments.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by ldarrow.
    ldarrow
    Participant

@christianwin you made that look so easy. Beautifully done young man

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here are the rest of the folks on page 6 that I haden’t gotten to yet.

@rafaela
    – Feel was spot-on for STW, well done with getting the technique down, Rafaela! RITR was beautifully played too ๐Ÿ™‚

@nelsonlin2021
    – Wow, your finesse and ability express emotion continues to grow at an astounding rate Nelson. Keep up the great work!

@jody_hendrickson
    – Beautifully played, Jody! I do agree with you, this one is better suited for High G. I would target the little hiccup areas as you continue to practice, but it doesn’t sound like it will take too much work, you’ve already got it sounding very lovely.

For the memorization issue, try playing only 8 bars at a time. Do not move onto the next 8 bars until you’ve got it down 100%. Then start working on piecing it all together.

Folks on page 7.

@jbmills07
    – Another stellar performance, Justin! Fingerpicking sounds excellent and I like your rubato-stylistic approach for the intro. Well done!

@terryfallon3
    – Well done Terry! Fingerpicking sounds great! A lovely performance overall. Moving forward, I’d focus mainly on the B Melody. This section changes to 8th notes, giving it the feel that we are going twice as fast as the A Melody. Work towards bringing the tempo up to speed to match the A Melody. Also, double check that section. There’s a lot of little variations thrown in that can make it tricky to get down. Work on 8 bars at a time.

Keep up the great work, I’ve been hearing big improvements in your playing these last few challenges that you’ve participated in ๐Ÿ™‚

@christianwin
    – Wow! Absolutely incredible playing Christian! One thing I’d like to bring to your attention is the overall feel of the piece. This is a love song, and we want our playing to reflect a softer mood. When I listen to your performance, I hear a lot of energy and excitement. I want you to try to dial it down a little and see if you can play a little bit slower and softer. Check out this lesson, it talks about this concept in greater detail. And def let me know if you have any questions ๐Ÿ™‚

mediuker
    Participant

I hope this makes it in time for the challenge. This is my first solo recording, and my first post in this forum, so the formatting might be a bit off. Hope you all had as wonderful a time participating this as I have!

mediuker
    Participant

maryjanew
    Participant

Hope you all had a beautiful Sunday! I celebrated Easter with my daughterโ€™s family so I didnโ€™t get to finish my video and post it in time. I worked on Red is the Rose ๐ŸŒน and I loved it although it is VERY challenging! Iโ€™ll keep working on it.
    Peace โœŒ๏ธ and ๐Ÿ’•
    I have enjoyed all your submissions! Great job everyone!
    Thanks for the challenging lessons RC101 family!

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by maryjanew.
    gi_gi_
    Participant

@nelsonlin2021 your playing was incredible. I enjoyed it so much.

@leb397
    Thx. My little uke is my travel uke that I keep in the car and take on vacation. It can easily go to the beach, etc. Got it from Uke Republic when visiting some friends last year. Best way Iโ€™ve been able to get my ukes are through the Shop App feature that most uke stores have at checkout. It allows you to pay off the uke in 6 months or less with no additional fees โ˜บ๏ธ You can extend it longer but that comes at a little fee I think.

leb397
    Participant

@gi_gi_ good information! Thank you.

@jbmills07
    your entry was so pretty to listen to. Kitty loves you.โค

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by leb397.
    nat-uke
    Participant

Bravo everyone! Such great submissions again. So many great performances – wow, Red is the Rose is something I want to work my way up to (eventually) – so pretty. I didnโ€™t post a recording this month, but I worked on Black Velvet Band, which was an interesting arrangement by Matt. It had a few of the dreaded barre chords, but I finally understand now the value of learning different ways to play a chord – setting you up to be in the best position for the next note(s). ๐Ÿ‘ I wanted to give a shout out for that song as I only saw it performed a couple of times this month! I needed more time to make a recording I was happy with – and didnโ€™t even have a cat attempting to distract me while playing – haha (liked that @jbmills07 ๐Ÿฑ). Anyhow, I still learned something and had fun – Looking forward to seeing what the April options might be next!

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@ldarrow, I’m so sorry for the struggle you’ve had with the fingers on your left hand. That is so frustrating when it’s something physical that impedes something you love to do. Any kind of impediment, whether physical or mental, that hinders what you love to do is so hard to deal with, but despite all of that you pushed through and your playing sounded so beautiful. On my right hand, my ring finger is bent slightly toward my middle finger from an injury which is why I prefer three finger picking so I don’t have to use that finger (though maybe I should start using that finger more honestly), so I feel your pain with that. I’m very happy you’re working through it and still sharing here. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ’•

@jbmills07
    , so very beautiful! Beautiful playing. Pretty much perfect. Always happy to see The Lady Zigs, as well. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜ป

@nelsonlin2021
    , haha! Thank you. I won’t lie to you, I amused myself probably too much with that video, partly due to the poor quality of certain aspects of it, including my singing, but that to me is very funny, when it’s a “low budget production.” ๐Ÿ˜‚ Thank you for your kind words, yes, their love story was too pure to not share. ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜‚ Your performance was very lovely. Playing with feeling like that always takes things to another level. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Andrew
    Keymaster

@mediuker – Bravo, brilliant performance! Excellent pacing and nice job on the accents. Hope to see more posts from you ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 118 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.