Participate in the March 2024 Member Challenge: Irish Songs!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the March 2024 Member Challenge: Irish Songs!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    planetfink
    Participant

Here’s my attempt at St Anne’s Reel. It’s a bit rough and not up to speed but I count it a victory. When I went through the Triplet course and got to this piece my thought was “Yeah, this is never going to happen.” So I’m glad I gave it another try and got this far with it.

ccwuke
    Participant

Great entries so far. I would have loved to learn one of the triplet strum jigs or Irish Washerwoman but I just didn’t have the time. Here’s my recording of Black Velvet Band

Chris

clempek
    Participant

Hey,
    This month I choosed “red is the rose”
    For me it’s a very difficulted song but it’s also a very beautiful song that i wanted to try the challenge

Bon week-end !

misterbones
    Participant

I joined RockClass101 back in October 2020, and that was my very first challenge participation back then, with the melodic triplet etude from the triplet strum magic course. Now I’ve finally come full circle, completed the course and am happy to enter the challenge this month with the capstone performance piece, three and a half years later.
    Please exclude me from the prize drawing this month. Thanks!

morrieuke1
    Participant

My March challenge submission, Danny Boy, such a beautiful song and arrangement.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@planetfink – You did incredible, Kathy! Feel was spot-on and you aced keeping the percussive hits on 2 and 4. Well done!

@ccwuke
    – Beautifully played, Chris!

@clempek
    – Wow, Clem! This is my fav performance from you to-date. I’m incredibly impressed. You musta worked a ton on it, b/c it shows! Bravo! 👏👏

@misterbones
    – Amazing job on the right-hand technique! You’ve got it down 100%. Well done, Michael!

@morrieuke1
    – Beautiful fingerpicking and singing, Michael.

dianna
    Participant

This month I worked on Irish Washerwoman, though I was tempted by the other tunes…..especially when others posted the gorgeous “Red is the Rose,”……..so I dabbled with the other tunes and even took a look at the Triplet Course, which admittedly twisted my clawhammer brain…..I was concerned that I would confuse the two…..that will be a course that I will have to take slowly and start with the etude before doing the capstone piece. I was impressed with @misterbones and @planetfink’s submissions……..amazing work! @morrieuke1 your Danny Boy was beautiful…..picking and singing is not easy,…..just a lovely submission!

Please do not include me in the drawing this month. Thank-you!

clempek
    Participant

@Andrew : thx, actually my wife couldn’t stand hearing this song over and over again ^^’. Even to memorize it I found the exercise difficult

Have a good day

maryjanew
    Participant

@Andrew HELP!!!!!
    I am having hammer-on issues!!!! here is a practice video from today.
    and the sections that have them.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by maryjanew. Reason: edit video-shorten
    joe150
    Participant

I do not have am pulg in on this ukuel.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@dianna – Nicely done, Dianna! One thing I would work on is adding sustain to your performance. I’m hearing more of a staccato pop throughout. So I would suggest slowing the tempo down and focusing on getting every note to ring into the next.

@maryjanew
    – MJ, I’m not seeing anything inherently wrong with your H/O or P/O technique. I suggest prioritizing the rhythm of each bar, as I noticed the rhythm isn’t being played accurately. Instead, I hear you playing through the notes.

One thing you can try, which will make the piece easier for your left hand, is to omit the chords in each bar. For example, in bar 11, play only the melody note (A string open) instead of the A minor chord (2000). This approach will allow you to concentrate on refining the clarity in your hammer-on and pull-off techniques, while also honing the rhythm.

@joe150
    – Great job, Joe! I think you’ve got a great base established. From here, I would suggest playing along to a metronome, but doing only 4 bars at a time. Try to count the rhythms out-loud as you play. That’s always a great way to help get them engrained in our memory faster 🙂

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

Hello, uke friends!

So many amazing entries so far! I watched all of them and they’re all so good.

And then there’s this… 😂😂😂

I won’t lie to you; I am very pleased with the overall level of jankiness this has. Very pleased. 😂It is not what I envisioned exactly, due to SEVERAL struggles along the way, including re-writing the lyrics multiple times, learning them by ear in the car and then realizing they weren’t quite right with the music, then having to re-learn the song with the music. I originally was going to record the vocals separately, but again there were issues with syncing them together, so I had to relearn the song while playing – so flippin’ hard! This is the first time I’ve ever tried to do that, lol. I also was going to try to play the sopranissimo uke while the other uke “sang” but that uke is tuned in a different key (D tuning, I think). So, my plans with this changed many times.

Also, I did record the vocals in the car because I was scared my neighbors would hear, but then I realized I had no choice and re-recorded them tonight while playing.

I thought about not doing this and changing to something else multiple times, as well, because I wanted it to be perfect and it really couldn’t be, but then I thought – the reason I wanted to do this song this way is because I hoped it would be funny at least. To me it is, but I understand how this might frighten / disturb / disgust others. 😂 Still, I may try to redo this at some point to be closer to what I envisioned.

The “story” is that the alien ukes are “in love” [kind of a situationship] and are singing to each other. Not sure if that’s obvious. 😂

Here are the lyrics:

Ingrid (the sopranissimo [lady] uke):

Oh, Ukie Boy, the frets, the frets are calling
    To play a tune upon thy mutant strings
    Thy eyes are ears and you can see the melody
    On our home world that’s how all creatures see

Ukebert (the soprano [boy] orange, many-eyed uke):

I’ll join you now via inter-dimensional splitting
    My doppelgänger with a terrible Irish accent
    I see this tune as clearly as I see your dreams
    I watch you sleep, oh Ukie Girl, I watch you sleep

So that’s what happened…

@Andrew
    , I hope you find this funny and see that it’s all for the silliness of it all. But also sorry. Also, please omit me from the prize drawing. Thank you so much! 🙂

The “yes” at the end was because I was so excited I made it through in one take. 😂

leb397
    Participant

@the_bumble_bard you are amazing. I love it and your ability to humor us while completing this challenge. Nice singing. BTW I like your hair cut, pretty. Well done!

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@leb397, thank you so much for that, my friend! 😁💕 That seriously means a lot that you say that. I know my singing isn’t the best but I threw caution to the wind because I was pleased how the lyrics and everything turned out. I wanted to do a thumbnail video with both the ukes overlayed over the video of me playing, but I need to get different video editing software for that. 😂 Haha thank you so much about my haircut, my friend actually cut off about ten inches of hair! I’m so happy with it. Quite literally a burden lifted. 😅 Thank you again!! 😊💕

leb397
    Participant

OK! Three days of trying to get a video… argh. Seems I say same thing every month.
    I absolutely love this song. Red is the Rose or Loch Lomond others call it. Day one I thought no-way I’d get through it let alone, memorize it… never underestimate your abilities with PRACTICE. 😊

@Andrew
    I’m still missing some notes in there to smooth it out…

Excellent entries. Great singing @Morrieuke1 and @dianna that is such a hard song, nice. Is that the new “dianna UKE”. @Clempek and @misterbones all so good. As are everyone’s entries. So impressed by RC101 talent.

I just want to make a quick mention that my Mom of 101 yrs passed this week and this has made me happy to be able to post something called Red is the Rose. She loved roses. 💖

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 118 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.