Participate in the May 2019 Member Challenge – 2nd Chance to WIN a Kanile'a!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the May 2019 Member Challenge – 2nd Chance to WIN a Kanile'a!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 278 total)
  • Author
    laurakarr12
    Participant

Andrew, Thank you for the feedback. You nailed it! I’m a monotone player, so focused just getting through the song. Accents are defiantly missing and will be in the works as I improve. My Story: Over a month ago, I started playing, RockClass101 style, focusing only on Dream a Little Dream of Me. It was my very first attempt at reading and playing a TAB song. Now, I can play two songs and want MORE! Going in, I am a one year old, self taught strum player with limited chord knowledge. A member in our Memphis Ukulele Flash Mob challenged us to “get fancy” and showed us the fun we can have playing past the THIRD fret. After that, I started looking and found RockClass101. So thankful!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Wait… so that means you jam with Petey Mack?

lisadmh
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

It’s a little clunky, but I’m sure that’s what you’ve all come to expect of me.

You know, the Beatles really had the magic. This and Here Comes The Sun are the absolute worst for getting stuck in my head. My partner and I constantly find ourselves humming it all day long. He’s looking forward to me moving this down into occasional rotation. 🙂

Bar 9 really slows me down. Bar 20 to 21 too. I tried hard to be mellow rather than so uptight, with limited success. I got the harmonic though! Fun tune.

I could have cheated and posted a recording from last year of Here Comes the Sun, but I learned this instead. Now I’ll go back and clean up that one as it has fallen out of my play list.

rickeymike
    Participant

Lisa, Well done. Nothing slow about that performance.

Andrew
    Keymaster

lisadmh – That was excellent, Lisa! I can tell you put a lot of work into it 🙂 Here’s my suggestion for you. Play along with Matt. Slow the tab player to 65 or 70% and take an 8 bar section. Try to match his feel. So your goal is to get a little bit more of a relaxed feel.

Heads up for next month’s live lesson. I spoke with Matt yesterday and I asked him to make next month’s topic, “playing with finesse”. This is going to be a great one for everyone to check out because the focal point is: Not only playing the correct notes, but instead, focusing on how you play them.

lisadmh
    Participant

Thanks Rickey and Andrew. I’ve played asking with Matt lots but I just don’t have the groove. I’ll keep trying.

I’m looking forward to that live lesson. Finesse is something I lack in all aspects of my life. I’m just a clunky awkward stiff person, lol. Maybe I’ll make a breakthrough as I’ve never had a lesson on finesse in uke or in life!

kanae926
    Participant

Heads up for next month’s live lesson. I spoke with Matt yesterday and I asked him to make next month’s topic, “playing with finesse”. This is going to be a great one for everyone to check out because the focal point is: Not only playing the correct notes, but instead, focusing on how you play them.

🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻

rickeymike
    Participant

Is anyone singing 64? I’m having trouble fitting the words: “And if you say the word” into bars 29 -31. Can anyone help me with this? Is bar 29 just a pickup bar? I can’t figure it out, just know there are 2 more notes than needed to sing it.

robinboyd
    Participant

Hi Ricky. Tiffany and I have sung along with it, and you are correct. “and if you say the word” starts at bar 30.

rickeymike
    Participant

Got it! Thanks, Robin.

mheiden
    Participant

Hi Andrew and Uke friends-
    Here is my May submission— what a fun song to learn & play!
    I’ve been missing my uke with so much travel–it feels good to learn a new song!

I’m a Premium Member–

annefgodfrey
    Participant

I am a premium member.
    Submitted in loving memory of husband, Tom & with much gratitude to Andrew & all Rock Class 101.

LIFE isn’t about waiting for grief to pass…
    it’s learning to FINGERPICK in the pain.

Love you all!
    Anne

kanae926
    Participant

Hi, Anne. You might need to set your video to unlisted as opposed to private. The video doesn’t seem to be working…

jinajupiter
    Participant

Great MHeiden. And Lisa is so cool how you keep your hand on the strings so despite of playing only one note in this phrase going up twice, you hear all chromatically going up. I don’t know if that was the idea, but I like that effect. :). The beauty and sincerity in your performance is great Anne!

Andrew
    Keymaster

mheiden – Here is my feedback for you 🙂

annefgodfrey – Anne, that was so beautiful. It was an honor to listen to you perform it. 🙂 The only feedback I can offer is to continue working on the second half of the tune. But again, awesome job! I’ve been looking forward to listening to your rendition.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 278 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.