Performing with others

Home Page Forums Uke Talk Performing with others

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    rickeymike
    Participant

Robin, I’m so with you on that ‘pretend musician’ thing. If anyone asked me to play something off the cuff, I would die on the spot! And too bad I missed the live “memory” session. That’s my biggest downfall (unless I play the same piece every day for the rest of my life, NOT)

Jina, your advice is priceless. I may get up the courage to play a solo at the year end gala of my senior learning community.

becky7777
    Participant

That’s awesome Ricky! (About possibly playing the song, not that you’d die if someone told you to play spontaneously lol)

rickeymike
    Participant

Becky, LOL. maybe not die but be in a catatonic state for a few minutes….just picture a little boy that got caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

jinajupiter
    Participant

Adventurer Fits you Becky. 🙂
    So far I’ve seen you explore all different types of music and techniques.
    Thank you for pointing out this jazz ukulele arrangers to me the other day.
    Pity there is no possibility to write PMs anymore.
    Ricky, take the plunge! It’s so rewarding :).
    Maybe ask a few ‘other’ to join you, if you miss a chord or so there are still other people playing it. So no danger of silence.
    Nice thread b.t.w.

robinboyd
    Participant

It looks like we will be performing live after all. The performance will be at the pub down the road. I’d better not screw up because I know the owner.

The first practice was just re-writes. They had some issues. I put in a request to transpose the key from A to G. Then it’s just up to the singer. She isn’t sure if she can get low enough. Perhaps I could solve my issues with a capo. FWIW, my issues resolve around the jump from A to C#m being a bit jarring to to the ear.

jinajupiter
    Participant

Hey Robin, that is so cool! Keep us updated. 🙂
    Is it possible to replace C#m for C#m7 in the song?
    That is just a barré on the 4th fret and easier to grab fast.

robinboyd
    Participant

The problem isn’t so much the mechanics of the transition but the difference in sound. It just sounds really odd jumping from A to C#m. One way to fix that is to play A as 6454, and I was playing around with variations on that theme, but it just makes everything easier if I transpose it.

jinajupiter
    Participant

Just wanted to share 🙂

rickeymike
    Participant

I spent 3 hours in line waiting to see that movie back in 1973.

jinajupiter
    Participant

Suddenly thinking of another aspect that I know from playing accordion, but can be applied to ukulele performance as well, think about whether you will sit or stand while playing. If you are going to stand, practice the songs standing because it’s quite a different feeling. Probably more dynamic while strumming, but harder while finger picking. B.t.w. I hardly have experience performing with the uke, but so far I shared some of my personal experiences of performing in general.
    Good luck Robin and Rickey and whoever will perform. 🙂

jinajupiter
    Participant

Wow Rickey! Did you enjoy? The movie? Not standing in line of course.

rickeymike
    Participant

Ha. Yes, enjoyed it thoroughly. A groundbreaker at the time. Actually, I sat for 2 of the three hours while the line was at a standstill during the first showing that I didn’t get in for. LOL OH, Patient Youth!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@rickeymike – Matt’s working on an arr. of that tune 🙂 Great movie, still holds up!

anirbaf
    Participant

ohhh I think it’s awesome you said yes to performing with others! I’d love to fo that. I practice by myself always and I think it would be more motivating to have others near me who are as passionate about the ukulele. maybe i need to look for a band ^^
    btw the test said I’m an adventurer. not being an english native I only just read something on the side about that personality type thing but have no clue what the abbreviations actually mean. maybe i’ll look it up some of these days. good night for now (:

rickeymike
    Participant

Drew, Can’t wait for Matt’s arrangement. This may be TMI but soon after I saw the movie, I re enacted a particular scene for my lab partners amusement in Embryology Lab with the use of my fetal pig and scalpel.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.