Picking style

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    nproost
    Participant

Hi all,

I have been playing on my own for almost two years now. I felt I lacked structured learning so I subscribed to this site and I’m running through the lessons.

I just went through the one where they teach the three and four finger styles for fingerpicking… which are recommended according to the type of song.

I play most songs with only two or three fingers for picking and notice I try to go back to this style when I play… should I invest more time in the four finger style?

Also… how do you pick for a song like ‘river flows in you’ which patterns require both styles? Free tab added as an example!

I feel a bit reluctant to learn as it feels like a step backwards. My ring finger is very weak in the picking department but if it is the way to go long term I’m willing to commit!

Anyone else struggled with this?

Andrew
    Keymaster

I’d recommend going through the entire Fingerpicking Course. It was written to not only help you get acquainted with 3 ways of fingerpicking, but also to help you recognize when to use which approach depending on the context of the music.

Judging by quick glance, the music you posted looks like either a 4 finger approach or hybrid of 3/4 finger approach would work well for it.

nproost
    Participant

I’ll complete th basic course and then I’ll go there next! Thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.