Playing on time struggle

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons Playing on time struggle

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    tonicm
    Participant

Hi there.
    I started a couple of months ago and I am going step by step without rush as it is my second attempt to learn to play ukelele.
    Again I am stuck with the same problem again which is playing on time, even lowering the speed of the play along I get disturbed/distracted from the fact of hearing my uke and hearing the soundtrack at the same time and/or watching the red line advance. I can manage play one loop or one and half on time but as soon as what I hear from the two sources doesn’t match everything gets entangled if I may say so.
    Tried with the metronome sound only and it gets worse specially when there are eight notes.
    I believe it must be a typical beginner problem, but it is driving me nuts.
    Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

nthibode

Hi @tonicm, step by step without rush is a great start! When I begin learning a song, I slow down the tab player to 50% speed (or even lower if it’s a tough bar) and work on mastering just one bar at a time, then two connected bars, three, etc, all at that low speed until I can play the whole song smoothly. It takes a lot of patience to work at 50%! If I move up in speed too quickly, then you’re right — it’s easy to mess up and get lost.

Another suggestion would be to listen to the piece (without playing on the uke) over and over, to familiarize yourself with what notes come next.

If you’re looking to work on basic finger movement skills on the uke, I’d recommend checking out the book Ukulele Aerobics, which provides short daily exercises.

Good luck and keep it up!

surferjay
    Participant

I honestly think the hardest skill to master is timing & strumming.

What really helped me with timing was a loop pedal as in order to create even a simple loop you need to be in perfect time or the loop is off. I created a simple loop and posted it on the Discuss Your Gear section of this forum under ‘Cheap Loop Pedal’if you want to hear an example.

If you need any tips let me know 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by surferjay.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Toni, jump into this lesson. It explains rhythms and there’s 11 exercises that you can practice with.

When I taught private lessons, my students had the most success with timing by learning to read music. I’d recommend checking out our course 🙂

tonicm
    Participant

Thanks a lot to all of you for your help. I will apply your suggestions and hope for the best.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.