Playing with one hand

Home Page Forums Uke Talk Playing with one hand

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    smokealot
    Participant

Hi class,

one month ago the thing I dreaded since I started playing the uke happened and I broke my left hand. Now that my hand is a little better I wonder what I can do with one and a half hand. Does anyone have a good idea?

I actually bought a keyboard cause I was working on some theory and found it much easier to understand it looking at a keyboard.

Cheers!

gi_gi_
    Participant

Sorry you are going through this. As a Non-Medical person feel weird giving any advice. Seems like a good idea to keep moving though. The body seems to do well with movement.There are certain basic exercises like the spider that could be done even without the ukulele in hand. Could possibly build strength. Your Doc would know better.

surferjay
    Participant

Sorry to hear that, wish you a speedy recovery!

Theory is definitely easier to understand on a keyboard and then move to the Uke.

If you have some mobility in your left hand I would take the opportunity to learn scales.

I would start by doing the following:

Learn the C Major scale. There are 5 patterns that you link together so you can play the entire fretboard.

Once you’ve learnt this you’ve literally unlocked the fretboard as you can now…

1. Also play the pentatonic scale (you just remove 2 notes from the Major pattern.

2. You know how to play all modes (Spanish, jazz style scales). Just by using the same Major pattern but starting on a different note.

3. You can then learn variations of the Major scale such as Harmonic minor or blues scale by adding or removing a note or two.

You can then use all the patterns scales you’ve learned and move them up a fret which allows you to play in every key.

So in my opinion learn the Major scale and variations 🙂

smokealot
    Participant

Thanks guys!

@surferjay
    and once I am able to play all these scales then what do I do with them? I am still struggeling with the concept of imprpovisation.

But it seems like you‘ve given it some thought (reading your older posts about theory) – I really would like to know how you have gone about teaching yourself the theory.

ldarrow
    Participant

@smokealot is this issue permanent or do you expect to heal. I hope you will eventually heal and that you are simply trying to continue as it heals. But if not and you are looking for a permanent alternative, have you thought about switching to a left hand ukulele. It may be easier to adapt strumming and picking with fewer working fingers than making chords with fewer fingers.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.