practicing on different sized ukuleles

Home Page Forums Discuss Your Gear practicing on different sized ukuleles

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    anirbaf
    Participant

hey,

does anyone have experience with practicing on different sized ukuleles and noticed any downsides or maybe even upsides to it?

i’ve been playing a soprano for about one and a half years. i also have a soprano size travel uke which i carry everywhere and a tenor which i play rarely because i don’t like carrying it. i am thinking to upgrade to a fender concert size uke because i felt it was more clear on the higher frets. hmmm.. i’m not sure if its a good idea to get a concert size uke while i still enjoy the travel uke or even revive the tenor which is actually a really nice and beautiful instrument (that’s why i don’t like to carry it)

also if you have recommendations for a concert uke, let me know i tried a fender concert and thought it was real nice

cheers (:

robinboyd
    Participant

Hi Anirbaf

My wife and I own a 1 soprano, 2 concerts, 1 tenor, and a guitalele. Excluding the guitalele, I prefer concerts and my wife prefers sopranos.

The downsides of the soprano are that my fingers get cramped on the fretboard, there aren’t enough frets to play everything I want to play, and they are a bit quiet. They produce a wonderfully plinky Hawaiian tone though, and my wife doesn’t find the fretboard cramped at all. That’s just me.

I find the concert fretboard most comfortable and there are usually enough frets as long as I don’t use a capo. They are still a bit quieter than the tenor, but that isn’t usually an issue. My wife finds the concert fretboards a bit of a stretch though. The tone is a happy medium between the soprano and the tenor.

Both my wife and I struggle to play stretch chords on the tenor. The tone is really resonant, though, almost like a guitar. It’s great for if I want to play really high up the fretboard or if I need volume.

I hope that helped.

Robin

anirbaf
    Participant

hey thanks so much! so you basically stick to one size? or do you find a difference when playing the tenor in between? I was wondering because i’d be playing and practicing on two different sizes at the same time (one concert at home one soprano to carry around)

robinboyd
    Participant

I play my concerts (one strung high g and one strung low g) about 80% of the time, but I like having the tenor for variety. Each one definitely has its advantages.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.