Practicing the hard bits

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons Practicing the hard bits

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    lisadmh
    Participant

Andrew always throws in a bar or two that have me stumped, LOL.

On La Gitanita, it’s the run in Melody 3. I practice but I’m easily distracted. So I pulled out a points tracker and counted repetitions and just played it 60 times. Still not enough but at least it got me focusing for a bit.

Any other tips on getting any random song’ trickiest bar down? I always need help with this.

robinboyd
    Participant

I play it slowly so that I can get it 100% correct at a slow speed before building up the pace. That’s only part of it, though, because I need to incorporate the tricky bar into the rest of the piece without any change in pace, so I need to play the rest of the piece just as slowly for a while so that I can get the transition smooth before building up the pace again. I’m hardly an expert in practicing music, but that’s how I do things for martial arts, and it seems to work for the uke as well.

lisadmh
    Participant

Yeah but even practicing slow as slow can be, I need millions of loops. I’m not very good at this, but I make up for the lack of natural talent with enthusiasm and loop loop loop loop loop loop….. A lot of effort goes into these challenges!!!

robinboyd
    Participant

Well, I tell my martial arts students that that part is non-negotiable…

coffeemug
    Participant

Sometimes after practicing a difficult bit for a gazillion times, I’ll give my mind and fingers a break and play something completely different. Like you, Lisadmh, I get obsessed with with the challenge and in the process I ignore the stuff I do well.

hotmilktea

my biggest problem is the Pull off…my index finger hurt a lot….so I practiced it slowly and give it a break for a day or two, and then come back and practice again. I find this better than practice everyday day non-stop. in the way, I kinda miss the Problem rather than hate it and wanna escape from it.

lisadmh
    Participant

Yeah those pull offs are tough. They rarely sound clean. I still cheat on them sometimes, including on this particular run except the first one. I cheat less often than I used to so that must be progress.

I give it a break for a while. But then I get distracted on another song and have to force myself to come back!

I’m going between the two challenge songs This month. I’ll get the flamenco postable. The other one might just be partial. I’ve memorized intro, theme 1 and almost theme 2. 3 is the hardest though.

robinboyd
    Participant

If it helps, I’m struggling with theme 3 as well. The chord change between bars 35 and 36 is hard, but what really gets me is the variation in rhythm from bar 38 through to bar 42. I’m getting there, though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.