Reflections on 2021 and Resolutions for 2022

Home Page Forums Uke Talk Reflections on 2021 and Resolutions for 2022

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    lisadmh
    Participant

Hi friends. Here we are again. Last year I posted this same thread.

Reflections on 2020 and Resolutions for 2021

I always find myself doing this activity in my head, so let’s do it together.

Last year I resolved to …
    1) focus more on dynamics (Yes, I worked on this and made some progress!)
    2) understand theory in my writing (nope, lol, I failed)
    3) not post too early – take my time to settle into songs (sort of achieved it but need to do better
    4) enjoy whatever new things the RC team threw at me (Absolutely did this!)

I feel like I settled into playing this year and got more relaxed. My biggest technical achievement in 2021 was learning the arpeggiated strum. I learned it for Gymnopedie and applied it all year long. I love this technique. I think it usually sounds so much nicer than a strum. This was a win for me.

The fun that was the most fun to learn in 2021 was the Moondance solo. I felt like a rock star. 🙂

The 2021 song that is most solidly inserted into my set list is Etude 24. Love it. It’s now a staple.

The most effective way to practice in 2021 was sitting on the beach. In another year of COVID, I spent a lot of time this summer on the beach with ukes and flashcards, going over all the songs I can play and getting them really solid. I was happy with how many I was able to get playable – 20+ songs without tabs at the end of the summer. That was cool.

What’s the plan for 2022? I’m not sure if I have any resolutions this year. I just want to continue growing – continue working on dynamics, learning new things, new techniques, new songs, and most importantly continuing to have fun. I look forward to seeing what Andrew and team throw at us this year!

What about you? What did you achieve in 2021? What are your uke goals for 2022?

ramiro
    Participant

Congrats on your achievements and all the best for your next year with the ukulele lisadmh!

This year I participated in the 100 Days of Ukulele project for the first time. I didn’t know what I was getting into, but it changed quite a lot for me. I started recording myself regularly and published more than 100 videos of my practice, playing and even some play along videos with onscreen tabs.

I learned many new songs, some of which were and still are very challenging for me, mostly chord melody arrangements. I got out of my comfort zone and feel like I’ve made quite a bit of progress.

Moreover, I learned what I want and need to work on more. Here are some of those things:

1. Staying focused and relaxed while playing.
    2. Not applying more force than necessary when pressing down strings and reducing string noise when lifting my fingers.
    3. Being more creative, i.e. creating chord melody arrangements myself and maybe even writing original songs.

Most importantly, I want to keep having fun playing the ukulele. And I’d love to meet some people, who I met online through the project, in the real world. Looking forward to 2022.

hacksaw
    Participant

1. To not spread myself too thinly.
    2. 1 song at a time (well, 1 on my soprano, another on my tenor, and another on my Low G tenor)
    3. Work in parallel on developmental arpeggios
    4. Boss the ropey chord changes. They will come and open up speed and confidence.
    5. Record myself and schedule a performance in front of others in a club or with a small, safe group.
    6. Finish pieces that I have part learnt and left hanging.
    7. Start on my Christmas songs In August!

robinboyd
    Participant

Well, last year I wanted to play more with others. I did a virtual collab with @lyndallk and submitted a monthly challenge playing along with the backing track, but I didn’t get to play with Tiffany as much as I wanted.

This year, I have the following goals.

1. Play more with Tiffany.
    2. Work out a guitar, uke, and 2 voices arrangement of the Dead Letter Circus cover of Killing in the Name.
    3. Record a 2 or 3-part arrangement of the Kacy Musgraves cover of All is Found (already worked out the arrangement, but never got around to recording it).
    4. Learn the Alan Thornton version of Lazyhead and Sleepybones.

lisadmh
    Participant

Ah, one of the reasons I like doing this is that you guys remind me of what I want to work on.

I’m going to add goals inspired by you:
    1. Staying relaxed while playing.
    2. Writing at least one song that I actually like and keeping it in my playlist.
    3. Arranging at least one song that I love and keeping it in my playlist.
    4. Going on Facebook Live sometime on the beach this summer when I’m feeling really good about my set list. (this is a stretch goal!!!)

Thanks for the ideas and cues, gang. We’re going to learn so much together this year. 🙂

surferjay
    Participant

By the end of my first year(1year ago) I wanted to be able to play ‘A Thousand Years’.

Goals for this year.

1. Learn ‘Body Surfing’.
    2. Arrange 5 loop pedal ukulele covers at least 4-5 minutes each.
    3. Go busking with the above covers.

😍

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by surferjay.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.