September 9th, 2019 – Live Lesson Topic: Tips for Memorizing Music

Home Page Forums Monthly Live Lessons September 9th, 2019 – Live Lesson Topic: Tips for Memorizing Music

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  jonathan_gabel 3 days, 10 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Andrew
    Keymaster

Live Stream: Monday, September 9th at 7:00pm EST (check your local time zone)

Hey guys, we are back with Live Lesson EP010! This month’s topic is: Tips for Memorizing Music.

Do you struggle with memorizing music? In this session, we’ll cover the do’s and don’ts when it comes to learning and memorizing new music.

This month’s topic should stir up some great questions! So please post all you have below and I hope you guys join us for the live stream. 🙂

LIVE LESSONS FAQ:

Q: What happens in a live lesson, how long is it, and when does it occur?

A: Live lessons are usually 30-45 minutes in length, but can extend until all questions are answered. The first 20 minutes will comprise of the lesson, while the next 10-25 minutes will be a Q&A session for premium members.

Live lessons take place every second Monday of the month at 7:00pm EST (check your local time zone).

Q: Can I submit questions beforehand?

A: Absolutely! Basic and premium members are welcome to post questions that are related to the topic in THIS thread.

Q: Who can watch the live stream, how do I watch it, and how do I chat with Matt and other members?

A: Premium members will be able to tune in and watch the livestream. Premium members will also be able to chat live with Matt during the broadcast.

To watch the live stream, simply navigate to the Live Lessons Page. You will see a YouTube video embedded on the page (if you don’t see it, double check that you are logged in).

If you do not wish to participate in the live chat, you can stay on the page and watch the embedded video. If you do wish to participate in the live chat, you will need to sign up for a YouTube account (100% FREE).

To participate in the live chat, click on the embedded YouTube video’s title. This will open up a new tab and take you directly to the video on YouTube’s website. The live chat box can be found to the right of the video (on desktop). For mobile and tablet, the live chat is embedded inside the video and can be turned on or off.

For further clarification, here is a video showing how to do the above (for desktop).

Q: I can’t make the broadcast. When will live streams be released publicly?

A: The live lesson will be released for everyone to view on the day following the broadcast (second Tuesday of the month). If you cannot make the broadcast, no worries; you’ll still be able to watch the lesson. Don’t forget that you can submit questions for Matt to answer beforehand (see the above FAQ).

becky7777
    Participant

I definitely need all the tips for this I can get.

robinboyd
    Participant

I know that singing isn’t really Matt’s thing, but I wonder if he has any tips for memorising lyrics. I don’t really have any problem memorising chord melodies and other instrumental pieces, but lyrics totally elude me.

lisadmh
    Participant

I hope to make the live lesson, but just in case I forget…

I’m doing much better with memorizing overall, but I struggle when there are subtle variations on a theme. Those are so hard to keep sorted out. Any tips there?

lisadmh
    Participant

Reminder, reminder, tonight is the night! Let’s not miss it this time. See y’all soon. I’m Zil on youtube.

jonathan_gabel
    Participant

I just had a chance to watch the published video for episode 10. The explanation of memorizing the fretboard was gold for me, as it was something I started trying to do recently while going through the Introduction to Music Theory course here on RC101.

Along this line, I’m wondering about any other memorizing tips or experiences that come with an understanding of music theory. For a general example, maybe thinking of a song as a I-IV-V-IV chord progression. To continue the road trip analogy, something that provides a bird’s eye view, to compliment the street level view that comes with breaking down and digesting the smaller chunks.

A specific example for me is John King’s arrangement of Haele. I must have played through it 20 times before I realized I could think of in terms of chords and not just notes: the first two bars leading to the C chord, the next two resolving in a G7, etc. I’ve never tried to memorize this entire piece, but when I can anticipate the next chord it seems to help both with fingering, as well finding some insight into how to play the piece with feeling.

Also just wanted to say how much I appreciate the live lessons! I have a 3 year old at home as well so Matt your apologies for your melted brain fill me with laughter and empathy.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.