Shopping in Portugal!

Home Page Forums Discuss Your Gear Shopping in Portugal!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    miztaken
    Participant

Beloved Husband and I are currently travelling in Portugal (the origin of Hawaiian ukuleles) with our Favourite Daughter.
    And I accidentally found a guitar shop in Porto…
    I tried out the cavaquinhos, and have bought a Portuguese made, thin body, concert size ukulele!!! (I will play an uke more than the fine metal strings on a cavaquinho).
    The wood is acacia, and it is known as “Australia” in Portugal because the trees were imported from Australia ? 100 years ago!!! This instrument is so meant for me!
    The perfect souvenir of Portugal for someone with UAS.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by miztaken.
    jinajupiter
    Participant

Wow that is pretty! Are you happy with the sound?

miztaken
    Participant

It has a nice warm sound, and surprisingly loud for a thin body uke.
    The strings are Aquila, so I will probably change them for Living Water strings when due.
    I found some interesting info about Koa vs/= Acacia (= Australian Blackwood) from Ukulele Underground. Koa and Australian Blackwood are both sub-types of acacia, with differing tonal properties because of the climates they are grown in.
    So, I would expect my Portuguese Australian Blackwood uke to have a different tone yet again (more humid here in Portugal than at home in Australia, but not as humid as in Hawaii). Good thing I cannot tell the difference.
    Anyhow, I like it and think I have got another lovely instrument.

…and I have just discovered it is all solid wood!!!!
    I was so excited at the shop that I forgot to even look at the construction of the instrument duh!
    So bargain price for a solid wood, beautifully constructed instrument.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by miztaken.
    robinboyd
    Participant

Nice!

becky7777
    Participant

Awesome miz!

Love it’s look, it’s unique! With the two knots by the neck, and the shape of the fretboard dip, it looks like a guy singing with the soundhole.

Would love to hear it when you’re back from your trip. “He’s” #10?

miztaken
    Participant

@becky7777 nope, my bamboo Eddie Finn concert is #10.
    This is #11.
    OMG I have to stop (about 8 ukes ago!!!!).

I blame Beloved Husband for enjoying and encouraging my UAS, and I blame Andrew for teaching the love of all things uke.
    I take no responsibility for myself because an addict is an addict, and my enablers just make it so hard for me 😁

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.