St. James Infirmary

Home Page Forums Showcase Your Playing St. James Infirmary

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    deadbuggy
    Participant

Just wanted Evan to know that I’m working through his great arrangement of this song. I get wrapped around the axle in bar 13 but I’m sure with practice…? Many thanks, Evan and Andrew, for this lesson. These are just the kind of ‘stretch’ pieces I’ve been looking for!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Great job Sara! Here is a video with some tips on getting the swung feel down for this one. There’s a difference between the feel used in this, which is a dotted eighth vs the feel we covered in our recent lesson, which was on eighth note triplets.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Btw, this is one of the choices for the October challenge 🙂 The oct challenge is one you do not want to sit out on *hint, hint*

deadbuggy
    Participant

Thank you so much, Andrew. And I’ll be in on that Oct. challenge for sure!

deadbuggy
    Participant

Do I have it? It was helpful to identify that Evan was a little ‘loose’ on his intro; plus I’ve noticed that I’ll lapse into a swing rhythm at the drop of a (top) hat. 😉 Thanks again, Andrew. I’ll stop posting updates now but hopefully this will help others learning this piece.

Cheers!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Intro sounds much better! Much tighter on rhythm hits! Try and play along with Evan on the melody section with the tab player. That will help you tighten that section up as his playing acts as a guide. You are on the right path, keep up the great work 🙂

kanae926
    Participant

Sara, I love your facial expressions in the first video. Haha!

My level of playing is nowhere near trying something like this tune, but it’s fascinating all the same watching others and their progress. Thanks for posting.

Andrew – Is October going to be super hard to go with the super surprise? I wanna participate, but now you’re making me nervous what’s coming!

suzums
    Participant

Thanks for sharing your progress, Sara! I’ve just started learning the song over the weekend and it has a been a tiny bit of a finger frenzy! I definitely love the swingy vibe to the song and it really help standing up and moving to the beat when I after I got the intro down. Will try to share a progress video at some point this week!

deadbuggy
    Participant

You’re welcome, suzums! I’ve been working on this since Andrew first posted the lesson a few weeks ago. Definitely a stretch for me, but getting to that next level is a goal for me!

lisadmh
    Participant

I just joined team St James last night. Definitely a stretch for me too but this thread is very helpful. Can’t wait to see what we can all do in a few weeks! Deadbuggy, you’re doing awesome already.

suzums
    Participant

I’m still working slowly through the first theme and finally got some kind of a flow going tonight! Started the on the second a little bit but didn’t record it because I haven’t been able to get the transition right. Practice, practice. practice!

https://soundcloud.com/suzums/st-james-infirmary-test/s-IfeNp

rickkhan
    Participant

Aloha Deadbuggy. I like the run or stretches. I like your strumming as well. I like breaking it down in 4 beats in each bar and start slow. I try to nod my head up and down (slightly) to the beat, to create the swagger because when I tap my feet, I tend to get off course. Especially in bar 9 and 10.

Hope that’s helpful, if not, please let me know.

Rick

deadbuggy
    Participant

Great idea, Rick! I’ll give it a try.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.