Stand by me

Home Page Forums Showcase Your Playing Stand by me

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    yooki-h
    Participant

One of my favourite songs of all time!
    This was the first song that I learnt on the ukulele.
    I want to add some spice to it so appreciate any tips!

Thanks for watching!

Stand by me

Steven
    Participant

@yooki-h Well I loved it! The slides and hammer-ons/pull offs are all really clean and the tapping back backbeat is really effective. I thought the whole feel/tempo/expression of the piece was excellent too! The only thing I personally think might add just a bit more to it is the ‘darling darling please’ section between 0.48 – 0.56. I know this is the same as Andrew played it but to me if it had a bit more accompaniment, other than just the melody line it might make this section sound a bit more full? Perhaps you could find a chord inversion you could strum with a couple of the melody notes just to fill it out a bit. Anyway, that’s just me being picky – overall I thought this was beautifully played. Looking forward to seeing more of your videos 🙂

yooki-h
    Participant

@sgwarren thanks so much for the feedback! this was great. I didn’t really think about the emptiness in that bit but now that you mention it I can hear (or not hear?) it. I’m not very experienced with where all the notes are but I’ll play around with it. I’m glad you liked the expression and tempo. I think it also sounds good slightly faster and feels like it has more movement. I’m keen on seeing some of your stuff too! Have you played this one?

Steven
    Participant

I haven’t played this one but I really like the sound of it – it’s a great song. I’ve just joined Rock Class 101 so currently a bit overwhelmed by the HUGE amount of content – don’t really know where to start!!
    There’s a really good website I use (https://www.ezfolk.com/uke/chords/A_major/a_major.html) which shows all the different ways of playing a chord. It’s a great reference when making arrangements. No matter where the melody is on the fret board there is almost always a version of the chord that can be played with it. Hope you find this useful 🙂

kanae926
    Participant

@sgwarren, have you checked out the learning paths? It’ll give you direction on where to start and focus on.

@yooki-h
    , there’s a course here at Rock Class on tackling the fretboard and learning chords up the neck through the CAGED method.

I hope this helped. Happy learning, guys! 😊

Steven
    Participant

@kanae926 Thanks for the tip! I stumbled across the learning paths page just before you sent this message as it happens 🙂
    Looks really good. Seems like a really well organised site with lots of great content!

yooki-h
    Participant

@sgwarren @kanae926 thanks very much both for your suggestions!

There is so much content on here so I’ll definitely start on the learning paths. I’m very much a beginner in the sense that I haven’t got all the fundamentals but I just can’t go past playing great songs! I’m trying bodysurfing for the April challenge and it’s waaaay above my pay grade but just so fun to even try and play it. Really should build my foundation though…

Thanks again!

kanae926
    Participant

@yooki-h, your playing is already sounding great! 👍🏻 I’m not entirely a beginner, but I’m definitely not at Bodysurfing level and just looking at the music is intimidating. I might have tried two bars and quit. 😅

I hope you both join the monthly challenges as they’re a ton of fun!

yooki-h
    Participant

thanks @kanae926 ! are you playing any of the songs for the challenge? I’d be keen on seeing you play too! do you a have a channel?

kanae926
    Participant

I’m working on Hone A Ka Wai for April. I do have a YouTube channel, but none of my videos are public. I only make them available through the links I post each month, but I can tell you that I’ve entered 14 of 21 months since joining the site. April will be my 15th entry and June will be my 2-year anniversary with RC101. 🙂

You’ll just have to wait until I enter this month to see how thoroughly ordinary I am. 😂

yooki-h
    Participant

Awesome! I’ll definitely be looking out for yours! I’ve also tried Hone A Ka Wai. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsZ0PcMz224
    The tempo is a bit slow but wouldn’t mind hearing what you think! bar 9 and the jump back and forth with the harmonic are so hard… will probably give it another crack for the challenge. or are we only allowed one entry ? : S

And waoh! you’re a veteran! congratulations on almost 2 years!

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by yooki-h.
    kanae926
    Participant

That’s much better than how I’m playing at the moment! Great job.

Only one entry per person will count each month, but you can still post more than one song for others to enjoy as long as it’s part of the challenge song list. I like watching others’ videos and reading the feedback they receive so I can learn from them, too.

You might only get feedback from Stephen or Andrew on the first one, but that’s my favorite part of the challenge – where they give pointers on what they thought you did well or could improve on.

*EDIT* You might be able to go back into my past forum replies to see my last few entries, but the forum has been acting kinda funny lately so you might get an error page. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by kanae926.
    yooki-h
    Participant

This is great! I’m looking forward to seeing everyone’s entries!
    Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. Let’s keep in touch. I’ll look out for your Hone A Ka Wai : D

rjn1952
    Participant

That was awesome and I really enjoyed your style.

Did you find this arrangement on this site?

yooki-h
    Participant

Thanks for that @rjn1952. Yehp! The lesson is here:

Stand By Me

Hope you have as much fun with it as I did!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.