stiff arthritic fingers

Home Page Forums Uke Talk stiff arthritic fingers

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    katrinaanne

not sure if I am doing this right (first time in a forum, ) but here goes!

does anyone have any good ideas to help with stiff aging and arthritic fingers? Would welcome any remedies as my fingers make me rather clumsy.

thanks
    Kate from Australia

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Kate, I’d encourage you to speak with a doctor or PT. PT has been very helpful with my repetitive strain and nerve issues.

recdog
    Participant

Hi Kate,

I only very occasionally get a stiff first joint on my index finger after tons of playing. I have heard that Tumeric (cucurimin) if very good for arthritic joints. I just tried taking quite a bit and that index finger joint did seem to get relief quickly.

robinboyd
    Participant

I’d second Andrew’s suggestion about seeing a doctor, but the other thing worth trying is “bee venom balm.” I used it on my finger when I had a joint injury. However, I have no idea how well it worked because I didn’t have a control or a big enough sample size. It’s worth trying if you have nothing else, though.

wabbit
    Participant

You also might want to make sure the string action is as low as possible.

I have a similar problem right now. This past summer I completely lost the use of my left hand for a few weeks due to some serious non-uke related nerve damage. I got my hand and hand strength back but it’s still sore and will be that way for a while yet. My doctor loves the idea of using the uke as physical therapy.

I just bought a tenor which I’m finding to be a bit more challenging than my soprano. But I love tenors.

gaevdl

Me too… I started wearing a copper bracelet with magnets and a copper ring (with magnets) on the worst finger. My dad used to play guitar and he’s said they helped him. They seem to be working for me most of the time. Don’t ask me how though…vudoo?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.