String adventures

Home Page Forums Discuss Your Gear String adventures

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    recdog
    Participant

Like to share some string “adventures” I’ve had recently. A topic of personal preference, but here are my thoughts, maybe they will help someone with their experimentation. I always liked regular Aquila Nylgut strings, still do but find I need to change just the low G occasionally. When I tried carbon strings on my tenor they seemed kinda floppy and somewhat dull. I then tried D’Addario ProArte high tension guitar strings on a spruce top and thought they worked well there. Jake S uses the same strings but he uses super high tension. These strings seemed to make the spruce top sound a little warmer as the spruce and the Aquila’s are pretty bright. Recently I got a 19″ scale super tenor spruce top which comes with D’Addario ukulele strings. On the 19″ scale I switched to lower tension Worth Brown carbon and they worked really well and sounded great this time, the tension increasing on the 19″ scale. I just put Savarez high tension micro-wound guitar (520P series) strings on my Koa top. This is what Taimane uses. They are actually pretty amazing. They feel really good, high notes are very clear, harmonics loud, and they have a nice warm resonance. Beware though, they do squeak more when you slide, like a wound low G. Still wondering if this issue gets better, or if there is something I can do for this.

cncamacho
    Participant

I have the Aquila Red with a low G for my concert and I really like them. I just switched my high G soprano to a Martin fluorocarbon but when those wear out I might switch that to Aquila red, too, because I think I enjoy the clarity on them.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.