String theory!

Home Page Forums Uke Talk String theory!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    donnaukulele

Hello All,
    I have a concert Kala ukulele with Aquila strings at the moment. I love the sound and have really come on a bit playing chord melody and finger picking pieces in the last few months. My query is though that I struggle to get clean sounds sometimes from notes and chords which are more difficult to ‘hold’ I.e. barre chords and feel like I need a ‘grip of death’ to make these happen. A more experienced player said you could get strings with different tensions which may mean I can relax that hand a bit and hopefully make my chord changes and playing a little more relaxed and fluid. I wondered if anyone else had had this problem and tried different string types. If so, did it help? Any suggestions much appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Donna

carrie
    Participant

I don’t know but I’m following to see what advice you get. 🙂

philrab66
    Participant

Hi Donna
    It is very normal to struggle to get clean notes on difficult chords. One thing you must do is to make sure your uke is set up properly to enable you to play easier. If your strings are to high you will always struggle. Also be sure to check Andrews video on left hand placement.
    Phil.

vidafntn
    Participant

Hi, Everyone,

I have a baritone Lanikai LU-21B with Aquila strings. I am also having difficulty getting clean notes and chords with finger picking and chord/melody pieces. There is an ugly buzz, something like an angry bee on note and chord changes. It seems to come with the string vibrating against the skin of a finger or fingers when a note or chord is struck or released. It can be minimized if I carefully time the pluck with the placement of the finger or fingers, but I do not seem to be able to eliminate it entirely. Andrew’s playing has beautifully clean notes. I do not hear any buzz when he plays. What needs to be done?
    Vida

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Vida, I remember we emailed each other about this issue. Honestly, it’s hard to say. Can you share a video of your playing (clear view of both hands). That’s probably going to be the only way I can help figure out if it’s a playing correction that is needed or if the ukulele needs attention (setup).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.