Teaching a 4 year old

Home Page Forums Uke Talk Teaching a 4 year old

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    dianeb

To Andrew and anyone else that might be able to help,
    My son has asked me to teach my grandson the ukulele. He is 4 years old. I personally think he is a bit young, but I’m no expert on this. Years ago I taught guitar to many 7 year olds, but that’s almost twice as old as a 4 year old. What would be your suggestion and recommendations? Should I start with melodies, reading music, chords, songs? I don’t want to confuse him and turn him off to music altogether. I bought him a Makala Soprano for Christmas and he seems real interested. Please, I need some help in starting this project.
    Thanks for your help,
    Diane

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Diane,

I’ve taught a few 5 and 6 year olds and the best advice I can give you is to teach simplified material. Single note melodies and chords will be best. Try to get your grandson to use more than one finger for playing too. Don’t forget to explain proper form (probably every lesson) and do correct his hand(s) if needed.

So, let’s list some examples:

Single note melody for “Jingle Bells”, just the first part: “jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way”

Using the thumb to strum chords, again single note chords: C or C7. Have him strum quarter notes and count for him.

Give these a shot and let me know how it goes! If you need more ideas in the future, don’t hesitate to ask 🙂

Cheers,

Drew

dianeb

Thanks Andrew,
    First lesson will be tomorrow and this gives me a good start. I will keep things simple and I plan on keeping the first lesson fun and yet I want to keep him focused. I think I have my work cut out for me but I’m looking forward to starting him on the path that I’m so happy I was led down as a child myself. Music is a gift and I am honored to share it.
    I’ll keep you posted…thnanks for your recommendations.
    Diane

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Diane,

I hope the lesson went well! Teaching is so rewarding 🙂 Def, keep me posted.

Cheers,

Andrew

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.