Theory

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    slqwolves
    Participant

Hi guys.
    I’m a 57 year old newbie who wants to make music.
    Please can someone put my mind at rest please? Do you have to know music theory in order to become a good ukulele player? I know theory obviously helps. Thanks in advance.
    Sarah

surferjay
    Participant

Hi Sarah,

Welcome!

In my opinion it depends what you define as good.

Can you learn a level 4 song on this site without understanding the theory behind it. Yes. If you define this as good then there is your answer.

Can you understand the required tonal changes to play in D Dorian (both in chords and scale) without any music theory.. Probably not. If you define this as good then you’ll probably going to need some theory.

So I guess it depends on where you want to go.. for me personally learning theory allows you to create/improvise which for me is where you can both lose yourself and find yourself in the music all at once 🕶

recdog
    Participant

Welcome Sarah! I almost never think about “music theory” in all the things I have learned to play on uke or guitar for that matter. Learning how to “count” though is so valuable. Counting well doesn’t come right away but it makes almost everything accessible. Have fun.
    Ron

robinboyd
    Participant

Like Jay said, it really depends on what you consider to be “good.” As I’ve progressed, I’ve picked up little bits of music theory here and there, but I’ve never learned it in any systematic way. Am I good? I don’t know. I can play just about anything on this site with a bit of effort, but I can’t do the Dorian thing that Jay was talking about (although, I know what it is…).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.