Tip for playing in public?

Home Page Forums Uke Talk Tip for playing in public?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    lisadmh
    Participant

Eeek! I opened my mouth and now it seems I’m providing the entertainment for my office holiday party next week. It’s a small group and pretty friendly. Maybe 15 people, most of them young but some older including my bosses.

I’ve never played before for more than a couple of friends and even that only a couple of times. Eeeek.

Ant tips? Help!

It’ll be all rock class songs except my 2, maybe 3 originals (I composed 2 new songs on a tropical beach last week!!)

Here’s basically what I can play decent:

Flamenco
    Etude #13
    Etude #14
    St James
    Here comes the Sun
    Etude 1
    Allegro
    Waimanalo blues
    Red is the rose
    Uke blues
    Seven nation army
    Beginner blues

+2 or 3 (if I can memorize 3) originals

miztaken
    Participant

…ALCOHOL… have 1/2 a glass of wine to settle your nerves, but no more or it will interfere with brain and finger coordination…

I think you are AMAZING to do this!!!

lisadmh
    Participant

Lolol. I work at an addictions place so I think that would be frowned upon.

We’ll see how amazing it turns out………

robinboyd
    Participant

You are way braver than I am. You have way more stuff memorised, too. I only have about 3 or 4 songs in my head right now. I don’t have any tips, but good luck!

rickeymike
    Participant

Lisa, I’m with Robin. I can play 3 songs, tops, by memory. Maybe a couple more with the sheet tabs. Just have fun with it. No one expects perfection. Don’t play them back to back. Spread it out over the course of the evening. Don’t play so many, leave them wanting more! Ask Andrew to send you some business cards to pass out because I know they will be so impressed with your playing that they will want to join. I’ll take 2% of your 10% commission on new memberships. LOL

Andrew
    Keymaster

Start with a couple easy ones. Nerves usually subside by the 3rd tune. Be prepared and have fun. People just want to listen and have fun, there’s really no pressure, but everyone’s counting on you 🙂

becky7777
    Participant

That’s awesome lisa! 😀

My friend played guitar at a coffee house years ago and he had the place singing along to ‘where have all the flowers gone’ It was fun 🙂 If you know any simple chord strum along songs its an idea to get everyone involved too.

I have no helpful tips for playing in front of people, but if you know em all you should have a great time! Best wishes for your party!! 🙂

lisadmh
    Participant

Thanks for all the tips and folks! I’m happy with my little set list. Getting them right on the first take isn’t really a thing though. Lol.

It’s short, informal, I’ll be fine. Breathe…..

I might print out a nice big rock class logo to display!

curlyuke
    Participant

Good luck! Try and think of it as something to look forward to, not dread. You could always encourage participation and then not everyone is looking at you.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.