Trip Hop Ukulele

Home Page Forums Showcase Your Playing Trip Hop Ukulele

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    surferjay
    Participant

Hope you like it 😍

mark65536
    Participant

Sweet sound Jay, thanks for sharing πŸ™‚. Are you using any effects apart from the loop pedal?

surferjay
    Participant

Thanks 😍 I’m plugged into the Fishman Loudbox Mini and am using a little of the built in chorus and reverb.

I plug the Uke directly into the LR Baggs Para DI box which really helps boost the signal from the Uke and shape the tone.

πŸ‘

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@surferjay, I loved this! This may be a dumb question but you completely created the back track you’re improvising along with yourself, right?

I like how you played it all out then just sat and grooved to it for a bit when you were done. πŸ˜‚

@mark65536
    , just wanted to say that your September entry was amazing and I love the editing! I was hoping that you’d high five yourself at the end though. πŸ˜‚

surferjay
    Participant

@TBB – Thank you 😍 Here is the entire process. I used to create the drum beat as well on the Uke but I can’t bring myself to hit my new one πŸ˜‚ I’m using the loopers inbuilt drum beat the rest of it is all on the Uke.

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@surferjay, that’s so good, man! I do love that style of playing, the jazzy improv and layer-building-ness (terminology is a struggle for me). I’m hoping this month I can get myself a looper but I think I need to definitely up my theory game / fretboard knowledge before I can improvise like that.

I’m also really interested in doing some of the things in the lessons when you play two complete “parts” of a complete song, like playing rhythm, harmony, and melody. And put them together in the same video, but I think I need to watch the recording course for that. πŸ˜…

I feel like I know how to play a fair number of things, can slowly figure out most things on my own, and have good intuition with music but really have a hard time with terminology, formal theory, and anything with technology. But you and others here really seem to have a mastery over those things. I guess the benefit of theory knowledge is that you’re not bumbling around as much guessing. πŸ˜…

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

Also, I like “TBB.” I kind of regretted changing my name to that but also wanted it to be the same as on YouTube. TBB is good though. πŸ˜…

gi_gi_
    Participant

@surferjay You are killing it! Love this.

robinboyd
    Participant

Teardrop! Nice!

surferjay
    Participant

@tbb 😎 It’s really cool how that style of music translates to the Ukulele. I think theory is badly explained most of the time which makes it sound difficult. What could be interesting if there is an interest is that we could start a post for the β€˜music theory course’ and then go through each of the modules as a group.. then everyone can ask lots of questions and we can post videos further explaining. By the end of it everyone will be jamming away πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

The video stuff I have no idea. I just prop my phone up against the amp and press record πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

@gi_gi thank you. I do love this song.

@robin_boyd My favourite song of all time 😍 I would also love to play some portishead on the Uke.

surferjay
    Participant

@mark65536 here is everything connected πŸ™‚

mark65536
    Participant

Ah, thanks @surferjay, very helpful πŸ‘. I was looking at Boss loop pedals a few months ago, just need to get a pickup in my uke.

@The_Bumble_Bard
    thanks a lot, I enjoyed making that one. High five would have been great! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@surferjay, yes, it’s just so amazing all the things this little uke can do! Wait, should someone make a children’s book about that? πŸ˜‰πŸ˜…

Honestly, that’s a really good idea. I think there’s a sub category on the forum for the lessons and we could totes try to do that. I feel a bit guilty that I can’t seem to find the gumption to face the theory course on my own but I just find it really overwhelming and upsetting for some reason. πŸ˜… I love the video lessons because again “theory in action.” Maybe I just didn’t give it enough of a chance.

That’s exactly what I do, just film on my phone, but I am thinking about trying some others things with that.

And that video of your setup is pretty neat and helpful! 😊

@mark65536
    , ha! If you ever make a video like that again I think the high five needs to be included. Or maybe like a cool fist bump. πŸ˜…

abster
    Participant

amazing! loved it!

gi_gi_
    Participant

@Surferjay Love the idea of going through the modules as a group.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.