Use of pinky for fretting

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons Use of pinky for fretting

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    robinboyd
    Participant

Hi Andrew,

I’ve noticed in a couple of the songs I’ve learned lately, that it’s felt natural to fret with the pinky so that I can keep my fretting hand stationary and let other notes ring, but the videos have recommended that I lift my other fingers and use my ring finger instead. Particularly with When I’m 64, I feel like it sounds better to use the pinky after playing the G7 in bars 9 through 12 so that I can let the notes on the C and E strings ring. Is there a good reason for using the ring finger instead in this instance?

Robin

Andrew
    Keymaster

Unlike piano, which is very strict on fingering, uke doesn’t have a set right or wrong. We’ll always recommend the fingering we think is best, but sometimes it may not be best for your playing style. For example, I’ve watched a lot of Evan’s performances and noted the fingerings that he chooses. Sometimes they do not work well with my playing style, so I change them to best suit me.

robinboyd
    Participant

Thanks. I noticed you fretted the Em chord differently in Moon from Evan.

I’ll use the videos as a general guide and keep in mind the principles that Matt talked about in his live lesson when working out how I want to fret, then.

mymgb1
    Participant

I have recently seen recommendations to finger the “D” chord using M-R-Pinky. Is there a real reason for this change from the norm?

Andrew
    Keymaster

It really depends on where you are going or coming from. Check out our recent lesson on this.

robinboyd
    Participant

I hint as to why you might want to use that fingering sometimes lies in the moveable chord shapes lesson that Lisa was talking about on another thread.

mymgb1
    Participant

Excellent point,thank you

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.