April 8th, 2019 Live Lesson Topic: Hammer-Ons & Pull-Offs

Home Page Forums Monthly Live Lessons April 8th, 2019 Live Lesson Topic: Hammer-Ons & Pull-Offs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

April Live Stream: Monday, April 8th at 7:00pm EST (check your local time zone)

Hey guys, we are back with Live Lesson EP005! This month’s topic is: Hammer-Ons & Pull-Offs. With a name like Rock Class 101, how can we not work on one of Rock’s most popular techniques? We’ll deep dive into the mechanics behind this technique, while developing a buttery smooth tone along the way.

This month’s topic should steer up some great questions! So please post all that you have below and I hope you guys join us for the live stream. 🙂

LIVE LESSONS FAQ:

Q: What happens in a live lesson, how long is it, and when does it occur?

A: Live lessons are usually 30-45 minutes in length, but can extend until all questions are answered. The first 20 minutes will comprise of the lesson, while the next 10-25 minutes will be a Q&A session for premium members.

Live lessons take place every second Monday of the month at 7:00pm EST (check your local time zone).

Q: Can I submit questions beforehand?

A: Absolutely! Basic and premium members are welcome to post questions that are related to the topic in THIS thread.

Q: Who can watch the live stream, how do I watch it, and how do I chat with Matt and other members?

A: Premium members will be able to tune in and watch the livestream. Premium members will also be able to chat live with Matt during the broadcast.

To watch the live stream, simply navigate to the Live Lessons Page. You will see a YouTube video embedded on the page (if you don’t see it, double check that you are logged in).

If you do not wish to participate in the live chat, you can stay on the page and watch the embedded video. If you do wish to participate in the live chat, you will need to sign up for a YouTube account (100% FREE).

To participate in the live chat, click on the embedded YouTube video’s title. This will open up a new tab and take you directly to the video on YouTube’s website. The live chat box can be found to the right of the video (on desktop). For mobile and tablet, the live chat is embedded inside the video and can be turned on or off.

For further clarification, here is a video showing how to do the above (for desktop).

Q: I can’t make the broadcast. When will live streams be released publicly?

A: The live lesson will be released for everyone to view on the day following the broadcast (second Tuesday of the month). If you cannot make the broadcast, no worries; you’ll still be able to watch the lesson. Don’t forget that you can submit questions for Matt to answer beforehand (see the above FAQ).

miztaken
    Participant

@robynboyd Sunday 9am Sydney because daylight savings finishes.
    I think….

robinboyd
    Participant

Nope. 3pm on Tuesday. The difference works the other way.

miztaken
    Participant

…welllll…. I would have been EARLY!
    🙂

becky7777
    Participant

Buttery tone lol! got to love food descriptors!!! Yummy! 😁 I want a “Paula Deen” buttery tone so I can dip Rock Lobster in it! (Someone HAD to say it. C’mon lol!!)

Live Stream Question –

If it isn’t covered somehow, tips for a nice sounding clean pull-off when you have a hard noisy callus that makes the sound brighter then what you’re playing around it, would be appreciated.

———–

If there’s lots of time at the end, any additional tips for building strength for bends would be nice, but off topic.

I can barely wiggle out emaciated virtical vibrato, let alone bending a string up a half step.

rickeymike
    Participant

Becky, Wow, those Crustaceans can really shell a song…..and with great Dynamics……Bah-dah-boom!

lisadmh
    Participant

I have a question. Pull offs on the A string always sound tinny and wrong, different from the other strings. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

robinboyd
    Participant

Hi Matt,

I have a question that is not related to hammer ons or pull offs, but hopefully you’ll be able to help anyway. I’m learning your arrangement of Dream a Little Dream of Me and I feel that the second half of measure 11 should be 1/8 1/4 1/8 rather than 1/8 1/8 1/4. This is harder to play but it feels right. The relevant bit is at 1:05 of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7j8wa9sWOE What do you think?

robinboyd
    Participant

Hi again. I’m also wondering about the first chord in the 1st, 3rd, 11th, 13th, and 15th measures. I sometimes feel like it should be on the 2 count rather than the 1 but I’m really not sure about that. Again, I’d like to get your opinion.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hey guys, here is the printable for Monday’s Live Lesson. It has a few exercises that Matt will be going over. Make sure you are logged in to download it 🙂

rickeymike
    Participant

How’d that pesky pull off to the open string get in there? LOL

robinboyd
    Participant

Argh @miztaken. It looks like I was wrong. I think it’s a 9:00 am on Tuesday. Hopefully you’ll see this before the lesson and we’ll both make it.

miztaken
    Participant

@robynboyd Seen it, and see you there (if we get it right – change of daylight savings does confuse things).

robinboyd
    Participant

Hi Matt,

I’ve recorded myself and uploaded the video to the monthly challenge page. Here is an excerpt from the post and a link to the video. I’d really like to get your opinion on the timing tweaks that I did.

Here’s what I did:

1. I played on the 2 beat in measures 1, 11, and 13, but on the 1 beat in measures 3, 5, 12, and 15.
    2. I unswung (is that a word?) Measure 4, but left the rest of the piece swung.
    3. I changed the timing in measure 11.

santai
    Participant

I’ve got a question on hammer-ons and pull-offs: There is a tiny part in your arrangement of “Happy Birthday”, where there is a hammer-on followed by two pull-offs – all on the A string. (https://rockclass101.com/happy-birthday-ukulele/)

How do I manage to get the hammer-on powerful enough to be properly heard?
    I found it especially to do the hammer-on with the ring-finger on the A string, since the middle finger was already resting on the same fret of the E string. That’s very restricted space for a hammer-on, especially one that is heard without using a pickup. Or did I get this wrong and hammer-ons are actually a technique to be just used when playing with a pickup?

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by santai.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.