Artificial (Tapped) Harmonics

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons Artificial (Tapped) Harmonics

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

@theukuelenoob – Can you share a video? I’ll be better able to help if I can see/hear what’s happening.

tux4tgvf5
    Participant

Dennis and Maya,
    I’m completely new here and started playing in March. Anyway, I attempted part A of the Yankee Doodle and was frustrated with the Artificial (tapped) Harmonics at the last bar. I couldn’t figure it out at all. Thank you for your great questions and Andrew, thank you for leading by example. Original Van Halen actually was my favorite band and thanks to what Andrew said, I visioned Eddie Van Halen finger tapping and how he did it. Originally I was tapping like Dennis and I was confused. After watching the videos, I learned enough to ring out all but the a string pretty good. I have Worth brown strings a little more pliable with a mellower sound on my uke and that a string at first almost cut through my fingers playing it, where the Supernylaguts were just too hard on my fingertips. I know if I were still using the Aquila Supernylagut that the a string AH would ring nicely… anyway I haven’t given up on that string yet. Prior to learning this technique I would place my right index finger over the fret and strum behind with my right thumb to play/ring out AH through cords… I still enjoy that but this is cool too… By the way, I seem to tap better with my middle finger instead of my index finger for some reason… that being said, knowing the index is my weaker finger, I’ll practice, practice and practice more with my right index finger ringing out the AHs. I just want to thank ALL of you, you’re combined questions along with Andrew’s responses have made the AH tap possible for me and I am no longer confused nor frustrated. I look forward to viewing more content and applying same to my playing. I agree Andrew, as it’s said a picture is worth a thousand words, I firmly believe that exchanging videos is the best way for me to ask a question. If you were to try to explain without showing me how to do the AHs, I probably would have a bunch of follow up questions. Thanks for listening. Tom

theukuelenoob
    Participant

I can get that attack but I can barely hear anything help!
    Link:

Andrew
    Keymaster

@theukuelenoob – Thank you so much for the video! So you’re actually doing the same thing Dennis (the original poster) did, which was lingering too long on the tap – but, there’s an additional issue – your accuracy is not spot on. Make sure you tap directly on top of the second metal frets. Start with just the open strings (second metal fret, on the fretwire of the 12th fret) before trying the rest for that song.

I’d recommend reviewing the video I left for Dennis and the tutorial for this technique, as well as, running through the exercises for this technique from the course. Let me know how it goes 🙂

theukuelenoob
    Participant

I am getting the notes louder now thanks.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by theukuelenoob.
    theukuelenoob
    Participant

hey, Andrew any tips fo the A string I have a little trouble cause the A string to dose not ring out loudly as the other strings.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I wouldn’t worry too much about volume now. The other areas I mentioned are more important to focus on.

theukuelenoob
    Participant

hey, Andrew one thing when I do the tapped harmonics do hit the fret bar or do I just don’t touch it at all.

Andrew, can you do two tapped artificial harmonics at the same time?

Andrew, I can do the harmonics now how do I make it louder?

Andrew
    Keymaster

hey, Andrew one thing when I do the tapped harmonics do hit the fret bar or do I just don’t touch it at all.

Yes, you will touch it when tapping. Key thing to remember: it’s a quick tap.

Andrew, can you do two tapped artificial harmonics at the same time?

Yes, but that’s not something we’ll be covering at this time.

Andrew, I can do the harmonics now how do I make it louder?

I’d recommend practicing on what I advised for a few days to a week and then posting a video so that I can follow up to make sure things look okay 🙂

theukuelenoob
    Participant

Andrew is Mr.sandman’s intermediate/advanced level?

Andrew
    Keymaster

Yes, it’s a level 4 song – our most advanced level. Every song is ranked in 1 of 5 levels: from beginner level to levels 1-4. The Beginner Level and Level 1 are more beginner-friendly tunes. Level 2-4 takes you into the intermediate to advanced level.

theukuelenoob
    Participant

Is it really advanced cause bohemian rhapsody is Soooo much harder than this?

Andrew what level would you rate me as a ukulele player I have been playing for 2 years.

Andrew, can you do Señorita by Shawn Mendes ft. Camila Cabello.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Andrew what level would you rate me as a ukulele player I have been playing for 2 years.

Please send me an email with an additional video of you playing. I’d be happy to help advice you, but let’s keep this forum post focused on harmonics 🙂

theukuelenoob
    Participant

just sent you an email.

alexander_hiske1
    Participant

Hey Andrew I do not know if you will see my message because it has been almost 2 years since you have made this video, but my harmonics are not the best. I got the whole the sound right (kind of) but I just can not get them any louder than what they are. Do you have any tip’s for me? also thank you so much for making the video showing how to play Mr. Sandman, I love walking around my house playing it.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.