Ask Kanile'a ANY Question || Bonus Entry for our $1800 Kanile'a Giveaway!

Home Page Forums Discuss Your Gear Ask Kanile'a ANY Question || Bonus Entry for our $1800 Kanile'a Giveaway!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    mattymuse
    Participant

What is your favorite combination of woods for a ukulele? (for best tone and aesthetics)

How is Kanile’a innovating the ukulele?

deadbuggy
    Participant

Do solid koa ukuleles ‘open up’ over time and sound different? What can a player expect in terms of tones as the years roll by?

(I’ve got a solid spruce/indian rosewood Martin guitar that has gotten more rich over the 20 years I’ve owned it!)

willymac
    Participant

Thanks for teaching us how to play the ukulele and for the opportunity to ask questions.

1. I undestand that, unlike most ukuleles, Kanile’a Ukukeles are just as easy to play at the twelve fret as the first fret. How do you accomplish this?
    2. How do you decide on issues that affect both playability and tone? How do you choose?

kmelton
    Participant

1. What strings do you recommend on your ukuleles?

2. What are your recommendations for proper care/maintenance of your instruments?

threepwoodjones
    Participant

My tastes tend to skew to the traditional, but what innovations do you find to be the most important? Also, where do you see the ukulele going in the future?

ukuleleloo
    Participant

Hi,

What is the ebony upgrade?
    Can you easy change the strings on your ukulele from a high g to a low g or a low g to a high g?
    What is the process of making a well seasoned wood?
    What do you need to keep in mind when caring for your ukulele in dry weather and in humid weather?
    Does the direction of the wood grain affect the sound of the ukulele?

Thanks.

mheiden
    Participant

Hi-
    Thanks so much for taking our questions.

1. What is the biggest point of difference Kanile’a has vs other high end brands (Koolau, Kamaka and KoAloha)

2. Is there any consideration for making an archtop model? if so, what wood combination would you use?

Hi,

It looks like all the serious questions are taken, so…

1. What’s your funniest/most embarrassing ukulele story?
    2. Who is your ukulele hero?

Thanks,
    Wendy

jenaenlaxson
    Participant

AWESOME!
    1) How does each ukulele look completely different from the next? Are there different types of koa trees, are the trees processed at different ages, or is it the the stain and finish?

2) Also, why did Kanile’a opt for a pin bridge instead of a pull through or tie bridge?

Thanks Andrew!

ukebaby
    Participant

1. Being masters at the art and craft of making ukuleles in Hawaii, would you consider opening a second shop in another part of the world like the Philippines and use local mahogany or wood from there?

2. What can you say about the ukulele being picked up by more kids and teens nowadays?

leahwoosley

What is your personal favorite wood (sound-wise) to play?

cyberloh
    Participant

Hi, Joe Souza, I’m a fan of Kanilea.

I’m not living in the US and I’m concerned whether I have a chance to get the giveaway Kanilea K1 uke if I win.
    As the fretboard and pin bridge of the giveaway uke is made of rosewood and the CITES Regulations which took effect on the 1st of April, 2017 prohibit items containing rosewood from exporting to countries outside the US unless with export certification.
    My 1st question would be: Do you have such export certificate to enable Andrew to ship the K1 uke internationally?

As far as I know, the Standing Committee of CITES had met recently (on 1st-5th Oct 2018) to discuss, inter alia, the possible exemption of wooden musical instruments from CITES Regulations.
    My 2nd question would be: Have Kanilea, being a major player in the ukulele market, either individually/collectively made representation to CITES with regard to the difficulties faced by the ukulele industry in consequent of the CITES Regulations?

davidcayden
    Participant

1. Is Kanile’a ukulele fingerboard made of on part (one block)?
    2. Does Kanile’a ukulele with koa wood sound louder and clearer?

andracass
    Participant

1. Does binding have an only aesthetic role or does it have others?

2. What are the temperature and humidity limits for not damaging a solid wood ukulele?

ourmaninjapan
    Participant

Hi Andrew,

There’s so much I’d like to ask Joe but here are my top two questions:

1. Given that ukuleles are constantly under tension from the strings, is there a “shelf life” for ukuleles, where after a certain number of years or decades the top is likely to bow?

2. Most ukuleles seem to have two-piece book-matched tops but from a sound point of view, isn’t it better to have a single piece of wood for the top? Why are so few made like this?

Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.