Baby It's Cold Outside Strumming Pattern

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons Baby It's Cold Outside Strumming Pattern

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ripley
    Participant

Hi,
    I’m probably misunderstanding something but in the video for “Baby It’s Cold Outside” the strumming pattern for bars 11-16 is described as being a continuation of the DDUUDU Island Strum used in bars 9 & 10. However, the notation/tabs are different for bars 11-16, cropping up again in bars 27 & 28 following another section of island strumming in bars 25 & 26.
    If anyone could shed some light on the apparent difference between the video instructions and the printable tabs I’d be grateful 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

Looks like she taught it as island strum, but performed it with a slightly different strum pattern:

Bar 11: 1 (&) 2 (&) (3) & 4 &

Bar 12: (1) & 2 & (3) & 4 (&)

For things like this, I’d recommend gaining an understanding of the rhythmic notation. If you’re able to read the rhythms above the tab, you’ll know exactly what to play. The best way to learn how to do this is by learning to read music.

After that, you can apply this rule of thumb: strum up on the up beat and down on the down beat.

ripley
    Participant

Thanks for your reply. I do have a fair understanding of the notation and read bars 11 & 12 as you’ve written them out in your reply. I was just doubting my newbie, self-taught music reading skills since the tab differs from the verbal instruction.
    I appreciate the clarification.

Andrew
    Keymaster

My pleasure!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.