Be Thou My Vision

Home Page Forums Showcase Your Playing Be Thou My Vision

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

‘Ello friends!

This is another hymn arrangement I tried to do. I can’t play it perfectly smoothly yet, but this one is slightly trickier than other arrangements I’ve attempted. I did this one because @leb397, you said this was another hymn you love and I agree. 😊

One of the slides I overshot, I went too far. And another one, right near the end, was silent for some reason. Oh well. πŸ˜‚

Anyway thanks for listening! 😊

leb397
    Participant

Yeah @the_bumble_bard ! It’s perfect. Such a beautiful take. Thank you
    Happy Easter and for this special hymn β€οΈπŸ‡β˜ΊοΈ

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@leb397, thank you so much, my friend!! I can’t even say how much all of your support and kind words mean. And from everyone else here, too! πŸ˜ŠπŸ’•

I feel like I owe the existence of these lil’ arrangements to all I’ve learned from RC101, and all this encouragement.

Happy Easter to you, too! Hope it was lovely. Mine was, but also a pinch chaotic. πŸ˜‚πŸ€―πŸ’•πŸ°πŸ‡

surferjay
    Participant

@tbb Very impressed 😍 Did you arrange it yourself?

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@surferjay, thank you so much, friend! πŸ˜πŸ’•

I did arrange it myself! I figure out the melody by ear that goes with the chords I choose somewhat arbitrarily, but I don’t really know what the melody notes are exactly. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜… I know they’re one of the notes in a C or G chord, for instance, and they’re on the A string usually, but I don’t know what the notes are.

I actually didn’t have to look up any chords for this one. I just guessed based on songs I’ve learned before from RC101 and based on the other hymns/songs I’ve arranged. Sometimes I just remember the shapes of chords I know from other songs and try them until they sound right with the melody. πŸ˜‚πŸ₯Ί I know the names of just enough chords and their “functions” from playing piano to start most arrangements I’ve tried, but these hymns are pretty simple. There definitely are multiple songs I’ve tried to arrange that I couldn’t figure out this way, though, because the song or the chords are too complicated.

But I basically do these arrangements for fun, and to relax, which is why I haven’t pushed myself super hard to learn all the theory yet, even though I really should. πŸ˜…πŸ˜³

That’s probably too much of an answer but there you have it. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜… Thanks again! πŸ˜ŠπŸ’•

surferjay
    Participant

@tbb WOW that’s super impressive you’ve definitely got a natural talent for arranging I’m pretty sure it’s the hardest skill to develop.

Music theory.. I’ve sponged up a lot of music theory and went quite far down the rabbit hole… I think it’s a bit like learning a language… You learn what you need. I tried to get into a bit of Jazz (lots of theory)on the Uke and just got overwhelmed and gave up πŸ˜‚ A lot of the better known Guitarists Eric Clapton, Jimmy Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen none of which could… read sheet music.. all played by ear.

On a side note I went to the Blue Note and saw this band. They were incredible..

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by surferjay.
    The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@surferjay, haha, thank you! πŸ˜πŸ’• I “arranged songs” on piano since I was around 8 years old so it’s sort of an engrained skill, and playing by ear. πŸ˜… But still I can only really do simple arrangements because my knowledge and other skills are more limited. By the way, if I were arranging these songs on piano I would know all the notes. The only reason I don’t know the exact melody notes on ukulele is because I don’t know all the notes on the fretboard, of course. Forgot to mention that.

That’s an interesting way to think of theory. Theory really is a language. I do feel like I know just enough theory to create these arrangements and read music, but I really get overwhelmed trying to write down the arrangements so I just record them for my reference and sometimes to share. So, basically I know, “dΓ³nde estΓ‘ el baΓ±o?” on uke. πŸ˜…πŸ˜‚πŸ˜… (Also those accents may not be right.) I guess if I couldn’t read music I’d be a dang genius like those guys! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜…πŸ˜‰

That is really amazing! I haven’t seen any live music in years but that seems pretty great. I’m not the biggest fan of jazz but the skill exhibited there is impressive. 😊 You can play some jazz on uke?

surferjay
    Participant

@tbb I think the Piano is a great instrument to learn. I’ve tempted to try and get back into a bit of piano but there is just not enough time to play everything πŸ™‚ I was going through some old stuff yesterday (from when I was a kid) and I found my Grade 2 Piano Certificate haha. I think music theory/arranging is much easier to understand on a piano rather than a stringed instrument.

I can’t play any jazz on the Uke but this guy definitely can!

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@surferjay, piano is really great to learn! I think if I hadn’t learned piano first I’d have even more trouble than I do understanding how to play ukulele, and all the theory necessary (that I do know). Pianos are so much more black and white πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‚ as all the notes are linear from the lowest to the highest note, obvs. But that makes a difference. Ukuleles are rather cheeky in their layout and I am still very confused by it, but I love them, maybe even slightly more than piano now–which is really saying something.

Ha! That’s so amazing that you found that! I may even have some piano music books somewhere from when I was a kid, probably with notes from my teacher telling me not to play by ear. πŸ˜‚ She was great though. I need to look for those books.

Um, that’s flippin’ amazing! Maybe I do like jazz… On ukulele. Those super fast, complex riffs are crazy. 🀯😎

annemarie
    Participant

One of my favorite hymns.
    Well done!

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@annemarie, thank you very much!! Same here, I love the traditional hymns the most. πŸ˜ŠπŸ’•

dianna
    Participant

Beautiful!

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@dianna, thank you kindly!! 😊

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.