Strings Suggestions

Home Page Forums Uke Talk Strings Suggestions

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    daniel_r
    Participant

Hi All

I have been using Aquila string for the past 2/3 years of playing, but I’ve started to not really enjoy the sound of the nylgut strings.I have been doing some research and came across the d’addario EJ65T which are normal nylon and sound way better. I also like the sound of the AG x AQ , does anyone perhaps have any other String suggestions which they would recommend. Preferably nylon and high G (unless it’s a unwound low g) and also if you have used the d’addario EJ65T’s or the AG x AQ ‘s ,please let me know what you thought of them.

Thanks in Advance

• This topic was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by daniel_r.
    egomaniac
    Participant

Aloha Daniel,

I’ve been a fan of Aquila as a brand and have been using their strings on my ukulele for some time.

Played new nylgut, super nylgut, red series, lava series and loved the tones from them. I usually have a low g tenor and a standard high g re-entrant tenor to go back and forth from but from the pictures I uploaded you can see I recently put the Aquila AG x AQ strings on my Kala ASAC-T which replaced the red unwound low g w/ super nylgut.

I loved the tone from the AG x AQ strings on my Kala elite Koa 1 so much I had to try them on my ASAC-T. Now I know tone and feel are all personal preference, but for me the difference in response in my attack and brightness in tone was incredible and enough for me to have them on both my solid body tenors.

I still have the super nylgut strings on my electric tenor. They also may get swapped out in the near future for the AG x AQ set.

Anyway, just my 2 copper since I’ve been playing with these exact strings lately.

Aloha and mahalo!

daniel_r
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback egomanic
    I will definitely try the AG x AQ’ s out.
    I have used a low g(wound d from classical guitar) for about a year now and didn’t really enjoy the sound of it.
    Very nice Ukulele’s tho, I’m hoping to buy a kala in the near future

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by daniel_r.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by daniel_r.
    floridason
    Participant

Good info thanks guys. The picture and description of Aquila AG x AQ strings at Kala says coke bottle green. But on your ukes they seemed the usual whitish color. See any green after you strung them? Link:https://kalabrand.com/products/aquila-agxaq-nylon-aldrine-guerrero-tenor-ukulele-strings

regards

egomaniac
    Participant

The color of the strings are like a translucent mint green. The description by Kala as coke bottle green is pretty accurate. I blame the lighting for the whitish color and from further away they look clear.

They are my favorite strings now because I prefer the tension of these AG x AQ’s over the super nylguts, lava series, and red series sets. Tone is also brighter in my opinion without sacrificing balanced range.

I just took these pictures to show the AG x AQ up close.

biggoomba
    Participant

I have not tried that many strings but have found that I really cant stand the feel of fluorocarbon \ fishing line like strings. I dont like the thin feeling.

Not long ago I was trying out some different strings and put some Aquila red strings on and love them. I like the sound and the feeling. I think they may be worth a try too. I tried the Lava strings as well but like the reds better.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.